Chris Maier (oom9@crosswinds.net)
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 15:16:18 -0400

I think it means that Qui-Gon sort of has a tendency to do things his own
way, against the wishes of the council. Like, for instance, picking up
misfits like Jar-Jar and Anakin and disagreeing with the council on some
points.
BTW has anybody given any thought as to why we have Qui-Gon when Obi-Wan
refers to Yoda as his master in ESB? I have a number of theories-
1)A dead Qui-Gon couldn't exactly show Luke the ways of the force, so
Obi-Wan deferred to that other surviving Jedi, and to give Luke added
incentive, he said "The Jedi Master Who Instructed Me". Makes sense, since
Obi-Wan basically lied the whole time anyhow
2) Yoda did instruct him sort of like a police instructor, he learned the
basics from Yoda and Qui-Gon became his field partner so to speak. Supported
by some books.
3) Maybe Obi-Wan got some additional training from Yoda after Qui-Gon's
death. Lucas said that we'll see the 'dissiapearing trick' be tought to
Obi-Wan by Yoda.
4)Lucas screwed up big time.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org [mailto:owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org]On
Behalf Of Alfred Urrutia
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2000 3:07 PM
To: gundam@aeug.org
Subject: Re: [gundam] There is no bullet time

Roland Thigpen wrote:

> "I" didn't say that. I was the one pointing out that Maul was also an
apprentice. Someone else was talking about Maul wiping the floor with a Jedi
apprentice. However, I will say though that Jedi apprentices are taught
multiple exercises, with the martial ones being the least emphasised
(basically like basic training type stuff), but other things like healing,
etc. having more emphasis. Sith apprentices OTOH, are, in general, taught
more martial philosophies, and they can allow their anger and hatred to
guide their actions, in SOME ways making them better warriors (of course,
this aid brought by anger and hatred is a transitory and self defeating
thing). Jedi students must by neccessity bury their anger and hatred, lest
they be consumed by the Dark Side.

I hadn't thought about it that way. That makes more sense. Certainly Siths
couldn't give a damn about healing and calmness. I would say though that
Jedis and sabers go hand in hand so I would think that their training, at
least in that weapon, should be the equal of any Sith's (Qui-Gon's
"well-schooled in the Jedi arts" comment didn't sound like he was witnessing
moves he'd never heard of before, only fighting against someone who could
pass for a Jedi even though it was obvious he *wasn't* a Jedi). Wouldn't
expect the martial arts in general to be as emphasized, I guess.

> As for it making more sense for Qui-Gon to kill Darth Maul, I disagree.
Qui-Gon was NEVER a warrior (at least it seems to me). Yes, he had the
skills, but he was not a warrior, and not as good at combat as Darth Maul.
He was more of a monk. This, combined with his advanced age (past his prime,
you might say), make

I saw him as a better at combat because he wasn't going nuts. He was calm.
Yes, like a monk or a Shaolin priest. As far as the movie was concerned
Qui-Gon was supposed to be some sort of Jedi rebel, doing things his own
way. I don't know what that means in terms of his fighting skills but I
could see him getting angry or being a fighter sooner than a typical Jedi.

> it quite easy to see why Maul might win. And even if he was a great
warrior, all it takes is one wrong move, or one move made too late, for the
battle to turn against him. And that is what happened. Maul found an
opening, stunned Qui-Gon with a hit to the face, and before he could
recover, impalled him on his lightsaber.

> Even the best warrior can be defeated by someone that can take advantage
of an opportunity.

True.

Alfred.