Alfred Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 12:06:33 -0700

Roland Thigpen wrote:

> "I" didn't say that. I was the one pointing out that Maul was also an apprentice. Someone else was talking about Maul wiping the floor with a Jedi apprentice. However, I will say though that Jedi apprentices are taught multiple exercises, with the martial ones being the least emphasised (basically like basic training type stuff), but other things like healing, etc. having more emphasis. Sith apprentices OTOH, are, in general, taught more martial philosophies, and they can allow their anger and hatred to guide their actions, in SOME ways making them better warriors (of course, this aid brought by anger and hatred is a transitory and self defeating thing). Jedi students must by neccessity bury their anger and hatred, lest they be consumed by the Dark Side.

I hadn't thought about it that way. That makes more sense. Certainly Siths couldn't give a damn about healing and calmness. I would say though that Jedis and sabers go hand in hand so I would think that their training, at least in that weapon, should be the equal of any Sith's (Qui-Gon's "well-schooled in the Jedi arts" comment didn't sound like he was witnessing moves he'd never heard of before, only fighting against someone who could pass for a Jedi even though it was obvious he *wasn't* a Jedi). Wouldn't expect the martial arts in general to be as emphasized, I guess.

> As for it making more sense for Qui-Gon to kill Darth Maul, I disagree. Qui-Gon was NEVER a warrior (at least it seems to me). Yes, he had the skills, but he was not a warrior, and not as good at combat as Darth Maul. He was more of a monk. This, combined with his advanced age (past his prime, you might say), make

I saw him as a better at combat because he wasn't going nuts. He was calm. Yes, like a monk or a Shaolin priest. As far as the movie was concerned Qui-Gon was supposed to be some sort of Jedi rebel, doing things his own way. I don't know what that means in terms of his fighting skills but I could see him getting angry or being a fighter sooner than a typical Jedi.

> it quite easy to see why Maul might win. And even if he was a great warrior, all it takes is one wrong move, or one move made too late, for the battle to turn against him. And that is what happened. Maul found an opening, stunned Qui-Gon with a hit to the face, and before he could recover, impalled him on his lightsaber.
>
> Even the best warrior can be defeated by someone that can take advantage of an opportunity.

True.

Alfred.