Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
15 Sep 2000 18:53:48 -0000

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 11:39:44 -0700 Alfred Urrutia <ledzep@d2.com> wrote:
>Roland Thigpen wrote:
>

>> Like I said above, Darth Maul was also a student near the end of his training.
>>

>But you said "If Star Wars was realistic Maul would have wiped the floor with Obi-Wan as well, as Obi is basically a Jedi near the end of his training..." So, why would one warrior at the end of his training necessarily wipe the floor with the other warrior at the end of *his* training? It would make more sense for Liam's character to kill Maul or for Maul to live long enough to be killed in the second movie. Or maybe Sidious could kill him for his failure, who knows.

"I" didn't say that. I was the one pointing out that Maul was also an apprentice. Someone else was talking about Maul wiping the floor with a Jedi apprentice. However, I will say though that Jedi apprentices are taught multiple exercises, with the martial ones being the least emphasised (basically like basic training type stuff), but other things like healing, etc. having more emphasis. Sith apprentices OTOH, are, in general, taught more martial philosophies, and they can allow their anger and hatred to guide their actions, in SOME ways making them better warriors (of course, this aid brought by anger and hatred is a transitory and self defeating thing). Jedi students must by neccessity bury their anger and hatred, lest they be consumed by the Dark Side.

I can already see the endless debates that are going to start about what makes a better warrior with this statement though.

As for it making more sense for Qui-Gon to kill Darth Maul, I disagree. Qui-Gon was NEVER a warrior (at least it seems to me). Yes, he had the skills, but he was not a warrior, and not as good at combat as Darth Maul. He was more of a monk. This, combined with his advanced age (past his prime, you might say), make it quite easy to see why Maul might win. And even if he was a great warrior, all it takes is one wrong move, or one move made too late, for the battle to turn against him. And that is what happened. Maul found an opening, stunned Qui-Gon with a hit to the face, and before he could recover, impalled him on his lightsaber.

Even the best warrior can be defeated by someone that can take advantage of an opportunity.

I do agree that Darth Maul should have lasted longer. The only reason I see for Obi Wan's being able to defeat him was his allowing some of his anger to help him. And the fact that Maul made two mistakes: 1) He didn't get rid of Qui-Gon's lightsaber after killing him, and 2) he didn't kill Obi Wan immmediately when he had him helpless (he took too much time to gloat in his own way). I would have liked to have seen him in the second movie though.

Roland