Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
15 Sep 2000 12:28:51 -0000

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 00:29:17 -0700 Alfred Urrutia <ledzep@d2.com> wrote:
>BlazeEagle@aol.com wrote:
>

>> every single character has to have a "use" you know. Maul was pretty useless
>> ya know. All he basically did was stalk them, kill a character, then die
>> himself. I mean Yeah is Stars Wars good always wins, but if Maul was such an
>> awesome Sith Warrior, he wouldn't have lost to a Jedi in traing, but Maul had
>
>Now, as awesome as he looked, nowhere in the movie was it stated that he was the
>best there was. He, too, could have been a student. A badass student, but a
>student.

It was explained in the interior of the movie (which you say you keep skipping). Maul WAS a student of the Sith Master. The problem was, the Jedi council did not know if he was the master or the apprentice. I think it was his failure and that of the Trade Federation that aids Palpatine's hatred of non-human races.

>> to loose because Obi-Wan is old and gray in the movie. If Star Wars was
>> realstic Maul would have wiped the floor with Obi-Wan as well, as Obi is
>> basically a Jedi near the end of his training and Anakin would have became
>> Darth Vader much sooner.
>
>Or it could have been a draw. Or Liam's character could have offed him. Who
>knows.

Like I said above, Darth Maul was also a student near the end of his training.

>> People seem to forgot Episode 1 was basically a set up phase for the other
>> two prequel movies. I wasn't expecting it to be an "Be All, End All" Star
>> Wars movie, like some seem to want it to be. I liked Episode 1, for what it
>> was. I am sure the Next two movies will be MUCH better, as eventually they
>> gotta show the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan.
>>

>That's a cop-out. The original Star Wars movie was made as a one-off, no plans
>for the future. Good movie. Once the hype hit and more movies were needed then
>Empire and Jedi showed up. But Star Wars was the set-up for those two. Did it
>need comedy, slapstick, assinine kid plots? No. It set everything up fine.
>Yet now people defend Phantom Menace by saying it was there as a set-up movie,
>like set-up movies must be inane and shit on their own. That's crap. The next
>two *better* be much better or Lucas is going to get kicked off of the Presidio.

I agree with both points here. Ep 1 was a set up to introduce the characters and the setting of the galaxy, but it could have been FAR better.

>> Speaking of Star Wars, according to several Computer game magazines, there
>> is going to be a computer RPG set 4,000 years before Episode 1! It's also set
>> in the time period when the Sith and the Jedi are fighting each other. I
>> think this is neat, because I've always wanted to see what the Jedi where
>> like in their "Prime." There's a comic series set in this time as well. I
>> have the first issue I believe, while it was several years ago since I've
>> read it, it looks very promising.
>>

>You saw what Jedis are like. At the beginning of Phantom Menace. But, ya, I'd
>love to see Jedis and Siths going at it. I bought the import laserdisc of
>Phantom Menace and the only parts I can watch are the beginning and the two
>saber fights. The rest is complete shit. As many times as I try to forgive it
>and claw through it I have to skip to the end.

If you want to see what the Jedi were like several thousand years ago, try reading the Dark Horse Jedi era comics. Especially the first few series that detail the last great Sith War in which Ulic Qel Droma betrays his Jedi heritage and joins with Exar Kun. They are some of the best SW comics I've read, and are far better than the ones currently coming out. I especially liked the Redemption storyline. The story, art and characters simply blow away most of the other SW comics I've seen, but you really need to read the first couple of series to get the background for it.

These comics show what the Jedi were like several thousand years ago, the planet that they called thier own, their rites and practices, and many of their powers. And they are pretty much cannon (at least as much as the newer post trilogy novels).

Roland