Alfred Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 00:29:17 -0700

BlazeEagle@aol.com wrote:

> From what I've read, Jar Jar Binks was their for comic relief and for the
> little kids to. I don't think he's that bad, Yes he is basically useless. Not

The reason for his being there was bullshit, though. Lucas said he was there to
help the kids get into the movie. But the kids were *already* into the whole
Star Wars franchise, they were buying up everything with the Star Wars name on
it already. So selling out was a waste of time, the kids would have gone to see
the movie no matter how much slapstick was in there.

> every single character has to have a "use" you know. Maul was pretty useless
> ya know. All he basically did was stalk them, kill a character, then die
> himself. I mean Yeah is Stars Wars good always wins, but if Maul was such an
> awesome Sith Warrior, he wouldn't have lost to a Jedi in traing, but Maul had

Now, as awesome as he looked, nowhere in the movie was it stated that he was the
best there was. He, too, could have been a student. A badass student, but a
student.

> to loose because Obi-Wan is old and gray in the movie. If Star Wars was
> realstic Maul would have wiped the floor with Obi-Wan as well, as Obi is
> basically a Jedi near the end of his training and Anakin would have became
> Darth Vader much sooner.

Or it could have been a draw. Or Liam's character could have offed him. Who
knows.

> People seem to forgot Episode 1 was basically a set up phase for the other
> two prequel movies. I wasn't expecting it to be an "Be All, End All" Star
> Wars movie, like some seem to want it to be. I liked Episode 1, for what it
> was. I am sure the Next two movies will be MUCH better, as eventually they
> gotta show the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan.

That's a cop-out. The original Star Wars movie was made as a one-off, no plans
for the future. Good movie. Once the hype hit and more movies were needed then
Empire and Jedi showed up. But Star Wars was the set-up for those two. Did it
need comedy, slapstick, assinine kid plots? No. It set everything up fine.
Yet now people defend Phantom Menace by saying it was there as a set-up movie,
like set-up movies must be inane and shit on their own. That's crap. The next
two *better* be much better or Lucas is going to get kicked off of the Presidio.

> Speaking of Star Wars, according to several Computer game magazines, there
> is going to be a computer RPG set 4,000 years before Episode 1! It's also set
> in the time period when the Sith and the Jedi are fighting each other. I
> think this is neat, because I've always wanted to see what the Jedi where
> like in their "Prime." There's a comic series set in this time as well. I
> have the first issue I believe, while it was several years ago since I've
> read it, it looks very promising.

You saw what Jedis are like. At the beginning of Phantom Menace. But, ya, I'd
love to see Jedis and Siths going at it. I bought the import laserdisc of
Phantom Menace and the only parts I can watch are the beginning and the two
saber fights. The rest is complete shit. As many times as I try to forgive it
and claw through it I have to skip to the end.

Alfred.