ROBOTICK (jercar@aristotle.net)
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:55:59 -0500

To my limited knowledge of this topic, technically there's nothing
restricting the US government from taking away violent video games, books,
records, tapes, etc. We have the right to publish it. That doesn't give us
the right to own or sell it. I believe that such a right is implied, but
thanks to a sudden upheaval of literalists taking over the government and
media in general, it doesn't matter what is implied. We have the right to
bear arms. Nowhere does it say that we have the right to shoot them,
though. No laws can be made by the state governing the church. If I
remember correctly, there is no "Separation of Church and State" mentioned
in the constitution, and there is no mention of the church being unable to
effect the state, which would be a direct contradiction of the former
statement, of course. I thought I'd spill my thoughts out on this subject,
just because you got me thinking about it, Chris. Anyone want to find a
copy of the Constitution and verify my supposition? I'm too busy myself.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Maier" <oom9@crosswinds.net>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2000 2:38 PM
Subject: [gundam] (Slightly-0T)Government crackdown on violent entertainment

A while ago in "For The Barrel News" we were discussing the media's outlook
on violence-and now low and behold, the government states that 'violent
movies/games are being deliberately targeted to youngsters'. I wonder how
this is going to effect anime's spread in the US, since there are some
violent shows, and also how it's going to effect hollywood as a whole. I
don't think in Matrix II for instance we'll have a scene like the one where
they shoot up the security guards...
it's sad really that my country has a tendency to be anal from time to time.
Things aren't like this in Japan, at least to my knowledge.