Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:33:42 +0800

gundam@aeug.org wrote:

>something i've pondered recently about the AC gundams is the specialties
>of their design.. thinking along the lines of how they were supposedly
>intended fo ruse in the original Operatoin Meteor plans working together
>and how the 5 scientist's plans sorta SNAFUed that
>
>looking at each of the 5 gundams they do appear to be made for
>combined-action.. Deathscythe's quick-dash speed and stealth make it
>ideal for a recon and special-missions unit, Shen-Long is a front-line
>fighter specializing in close-combat while Heavyarms is long-range
>fire-support, Sandrock's heavy armor and potent close-range (i.e. 'last
>ditch') weapons make it an ideal command unit and Wing is air-cover..
>
>at least that's how i see it, had events turned out diferently, but
>instead they were forced to operate individually, which might be one of
>the reasons these Gundams faired so poorly against more multi-role MS
>and MD units built with performance specs approaching or matching thier
>own (not just the Virgo and Taurus Mobile dolls, but Tallgeese which is
>technicaly inferior to all the Gundams is better balanced desing wise
>and fought Wing ot a stand-still, and beat the snot out of Heavyarms..
>if you say it has more ot do with the pilots i like to think that
>Heero's super-intensive traing and Zech's experience effectivly cancel
>each other out)

LOL...I remember that episode where the 4 boys and Noin had one helluva time beating Zechs with 3 Virgo II-cum bodyguards - now what Zechs did is what's called being smart.

>then we get into the up-grades, not coincidentally each Gundam not only
>recieves a boost in performance in it's original specialties but in
>other areas as well, makeing them more versitile and better suited for
>lone combat.. D-Hell not only get's a major boost in stealth and speed,
>but the moe powerfulll twin beam scythen and added protectoin of it's
>wing-shields make it better suited for stand-up fights. Altron's
>close-combat ability is effectively doubled with adition of an extra
>dragon fang and the double-beam trident, but aside from that a much
>needed long-range arsenal is installed in the new stinger-tail..
>Sandrock Kai also gets an improvment on it's weak long-range weaponry
>with the inclusion of the sub-machinegun and Heavyarms? well, after
>going through the Kai upgrade i don't remember it habitually running out
>of ammo in the middle of battles.. Wing Zero? it's a good stand-alone
>unit simply by virtue of being so ridiculously over-powered

IIRC the Heavyarms had newer beam-gatling guns so it didn't face ammunition problems with regards to the gatling guns. however...won't all those ranged weaponry be negated by the planet defensors of the Virgo IIs? In G Generation F I had a hard time finishing the Gundam Wing timeline because all ranged weapons (well except map weapons) are deflected by the planet defensors, and had to go up close and personal most of the time.

>wel, that's my analysis, kinda ironic i think that just after all 5
>Gundams have modifications and/or are replaced with other units better
>able to stand alone in the AC battlefild all 5 Gundam pilots start
>rworking togeterh just as they were originally intended..

LOL...ironic indeed ^_^
speaking of which, the five scientists could have given their own wards special orders that if they meet a fellow Gundam pilot, they should determine if the other one was with the new Operation Meteor and not the old one, which ultimately would have given OZ an even harder time to deal with them collectively.