garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 06:42:47 -0700 (PDT)

ergh.

in an effort to understand (or just plain dig into)
the newtype schtick in UC gundam...

i'm curious -- what are the non-military and
humane/worldly/goodly/benevolent aspects and uses of
newtypes?

is newtype anything more than just a
glorified-deus-ex-machina-plot-device for explaining
how mechs and weapons are controlled and juicing up
the already overachieving ace pilots? i'm asking
because the newtype idea doesn't strike me as anything
more than a slick plot device (then again, i've only
watched the gundam movies, 8th MS, 0080, 0083, f91,
wing and g...so...i might be missing out on something
huge)

i never could like the whole newtype theme in gundam.
this is partly because i just don't dig x-files esp
and psychic stuff (psychics and mechs don't mix, for
me). but also because i haven't yet come across
anything that tells me just how worldly and wholesome
"newtype" can be -- other than being tools for war (or
slaves of the military, depending on your point of
view).

isn't newtype supposed to be the "next step" for human
evolution? empathic abilities that enables a human to
transcend pettiness and selfishness? but how come,
several series later (right up to v gundam?), none of
what newtype is billed to be comes true? how is the
vision of newtypes handled in z, zz, v (and turn a?)?
is it ever resolved?

-garr