Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 01:43:07 -0700

> Turn A's premise gives us carte blanche to assume that high technology
>is lost between distinct Gundam "eras", as civilization rebuilds pretty
>much from scratch. This is especially true with Wing, since in the end
>they abandon the use of mobile suits entirely, and destroy all existing
>examples of the technology.

Given that stance, you can pretty much rearrange each alternate
universe Gundam with relation to the U.C. era in any order you like,
without any rhyme or reason. Hell, let's integrate Macross and Star Wars
into Gundam while we're at it. As long as enough time has passed, ANYTHING
is possible, right?

> Nobody's forcing you to swallow the unified-universe theory. But, as
>outlined in the series, it does give us ample opportunity to dismiss
>continuity problems by saying "Well, centuries passed and they forgot all
>that stuff."

It just sounded like a lazy and off-the-cuff solution to a problem that
should have been given more thought. Also when Tomino couldn't have cared
less on this issue, it's funny to see fans scratching their heads trying to
make sense of it all.

>I'm pretty pleased that I was able to come up with a
>scenario where I only have to do that once - or not at all, with the "TV
>series" model. :-)

The TV series theory gets my vote, although I bet the Wingers would hate it.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0