Alfred Urrutia (ledzep@d2.com)
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 20:22:01 -0700

Richie Ramos wrote:

> I know what slapstick is. But it is now out of context, as you have
> pointed out, so no matter what, it is still something to think about.
> Trying to tell Snow white as Coal Black because of time constraints and a
> jazz beat is fine by me, but cartoon slapstick can be very brutal. I know
> I come off sounding a bit uppity, but I always get disturbed when I see my
> younger cousins laughing at nasty tom and jerry stuff, and realize I used
> to do that as well. The question is really one of limits. And that's
> something that we all have to answer for ourselves.

The question has nothing to do with limits. It has to do with your (our, your
cousins) ability to separate fantasy from reality. I can laugh all day at the
jokes in "Blazing Saddles". Does that mean I hate "chinks" or "niggers"? Hell
no. But it's hilarious, the situations, the comedic execution, etc. I don't
take that crap *seriously*, though. If someone takes any of that, TV shows,
movies, any of it seriously then they're insane and blaming one specific genre is
pointless. I laughed hysterically at the gags in old WB and MGM cartoons. Still
do. I'm not off the wall enough to feel guilt because I didn't consider the
feelings of an animated coyote as he failed, again, to catch a roadrunner.

> And we are talking about Americans and Japanese. That's the whole
> problem. How do you do something that can satisfy both, or people who are
> looking for elements of both?

Do it right. I know that sounds stupid but the great movies have seemed to
bridge the cultural gap. They are rare. Do a great story, don't worry about
what the Americans or Japanese will think. If it's well written and executed
then it will fly.

> The big question is: What is the probability that For the Barrel, if it
> will be a mix of both, will be a success or a failure? Given what we've
> seen of it and knowing how things have turned out historically with
> projects like these?

Given what we've seen is meaningless except to bet money on it, like betting on
heads or tails when 50 flips of a coin have randomly come up with 50 heads in a
row. That doesn't mean the next one will be heads. They could nail this new
Gundam series. When, historically, has there been a U.S. Bandai arm? This much
interest in Gundam? An attempt at Tomino's novels that was accurate? Never to
all of the above. You can't predict anything.

Alfred.

--
"They could also have included all the Pink's you could eat, an
 interactive Kirk hologram and a Mayflower truck full of Asian whores,

- Crom, on Clu's bemoaning a lost contract opportunity at Disney