Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Fri, 08 Sep 2000 02:33:57 +0800

>It's called slapstick. Sight gags. American theatrical cartoons are
based on
>old vaudeville acts and routines. All that sticks of dynamite and anvils and
>shit is built off that. Many references to old movies and radio shows, too.
>*Not* a kiddie mentality, most of those references would go right by kids who
>weren't aware of them. Are there a lot of 6-7 minute anime cartoons? I'm
not
>aware of them. Try telling the story of Snow White in 7 minutes to a jazz
beat
>and come out with something other than Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarves,
>probably Bob Clampett's best cartoon. So, comparing American cartoons to
anime
>is like comparing Americans to Japanese.

I know what slapstick is. But it is now out of context, as you have
pointed out, so no matter what, it is still something to think about.
Trying to tell Snow white as Coal Black because of time constraints and a
jazz beat is fine by me, but cartoon slapstick can be very brutal. I know
I come off sounding a bit uppity, but I always get disturbed when I see my
younger cousins laughing at nasty tom and jerry stuff, and realize I used
to do that as well. The question is really one of limits. And that's
something that we all have to answer for ourselves.

And we are talking about Americans and Japanese. That's the whole
problem. How do you do something that can satisfy both, or people who are
looking for elements of both?

of course there will be successes, but there will always be failures.

The big question is: What is the probability that For the Barrel, if it
will be a mix of both, will be a success or a failure? Given what we've
seen of it and knowing how things have turned out historically with
projects like these?

flashlight.

url: www.localvibe.com
ofc: (632) 4167486