Brett Jensen (heero@earthlink.net)
Thu, 07 Sep 2000 07:33:20 -0700

Roland Thigpen wrote:

> Definately agreed about the panning, but I do not think that BS#6 had good integration between its CGI and animation. And the characters' appearances were crappy too.

That's a design issue. You don't like the Blue sub designs, and I don't like the BGC tv designs...It's purely subjective and has nothing to do with animation quality.

> You're kinda right about Mayo...I do prefer the original. But I'm growing to like this one's background (oh yeah, that reminds me...one thing were this version beats out the original...the characters have much more developed personalities and background/histories).

I think that they were starting to flesh out the backgrounds in the 2nd OVA, If it had been completed I think it would have been fine. Anyway, I don't have a problem with the new SBs story or design work all that much, it's mostly the poor animation quality.

> And you mean April isn't supposed to be captain (Feb seemed to be in the original). Although, in some cases, it seemed April also lead the team in the original.

Yeah, I did. Oops. ^_^ I think Feb was definately the captain (in a loose sense) with april being rhe first mate.

Basically my problem with remakes may be summed up by one word: Dissapointment. I remember being really excited about BGC tv I was like, "alright! It'll be just like the old days." Then I saw the designs.... My reaction was something like "Eww, who the f**k are these
people?", but I got over that and started getting excited again, so I weasel a copy from a Japanese friend and, My reaction was "that's not a boomer that's a DEZ Tentacle monster reject." and "Dr Stingray is Gendou Ikari", and Why does Sylia-furita have so many
flashbacks?" "Why are the hardsuits being launched Eva style?" "Priss sorta sounds like Kinuko Oomori, but she can't sing her way out of a paper bag." "NENE'S DESIGN IS TOO FREAKING MODERN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and so on and so on.

I am very, very, attached to BGC. I am aware of the shortcomings of story, but that's not the point. It's like Godzilla, most people think, hmmm... "The Godzilla effects are not as good as Jurassic Park, so therefore, if we make Godzilla more like Jurassic park it will
be better." Well, I think we all know what a bad film the hollywood godzilla is. They ended up losing the soul of the original work, what made Godzilla an Icon. (BTW Godzilla 2000 rules)

Oh well, BGC was sort of a remake of Tecno police 21C...hmmm. I may just give up and watch the rest of it... I made my peace with Dirty Pair FLASH, so mabey there is hope. but I will always think SB the legacy sucks.

---Brett "bitter old fan" Jensen