Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:50:09 -0700

Aaron writes,

> To be honest, I like both of the above. Although, I would like to see GW
>as part of Gundam's "real" universe, but GW being a TV show *in* the Gundam
>universe is a more unique and creative idea, so I like that better. I know
>little about it, but have you figured in the G-Unit comic from Bom Bom
>magazine into this?

  Nah, G-UNIT shouldn't affect things one way or the other. It's just a
side story that takes place during the Gundam Wing TV series.

Roland Thigpen writes,

>The main problem I have with UC predating Wing is that, as said before,
>the tech of the other weapons systems (ie, naval ships, tanks, aircraft,
>etc.) all resemble modern day stuff far more than they do stuff in UC,
>which doesn't look much like our modern stuff, and the nations of the
>Earth more closely resemble modern ones.

  Exactly. The world of UC Gundam is a lot more different from our
modern-day world. In Gundam Wing, we still have all the same cities and
nations, ethnicities, automobiles, and conventional weapons. What would
be the odds of reconstructing all that stuff after centuries of UC
wackiness, not to mention the devastation of Gundam X's 7th Space War?

Eddie writes,

>Crazy indeed - to say that Wing pre-dates U.C. is basically to debunk
>all the claims that laid foundation to the technology of the U.C. era,
>namely how Minovsky physics would forever change the way warfare is
>carried out

  Then again, they don't seem to have Minovsky physics in Gundam Wing.

>Why would people be so surprised when out of nowhere came the Zakus
>from Zeon, history's first humanoid combat vehicle.

  Turn A's premise gives us carte blanche to assume that high technology
is lost between distinct Gundam "eras", as civilization rebuilds pretty
much from scratch. This is especially true with Wing, since in the end
they abandon the use of mobile suits entirely, and destroy all existing
examples of the technology.

>The established timeline
>also left little amount of time between our current calendar and the
>U.C. calendar

  The connection between AD and UC calendars was dropped from the
official Gundam timeline ten years ago (Mediaworks's comics are the only
place you'll still see AD dates appearing on the timeline). Whether
intentional or not, the official uncoupling of AD and UC calendars gives
them leeway to slip the AC era in between if they're so inclined.

>Moreover, the "Shin" Kidou Senki part of Gundam Wing seems to indicate
>that it is a new chapter in the Gundam saga that takes place later
>in the U.C. timeline, if at all.

  So what? It's just the series title.

>Last but not least, one'd need to go back and re-write every instance in
>the U.C. saga where it was mentioned that the U.C. calendar was introduced
>when people started emigrating to space colonies, never mind that "After
>Colony" might have seen the destruction of mobile suits, but people still
>lived in space colonies.

  The "dark history" premise of Turn A specifically says that there have
been several cycles of humanity migrating to space, then leaving the
solar system. The terraforming projects that are underway at the end of
Gundam Wing could easily be the starting point for one of these
migrations, perhaps with the colonies converted into generation ships
(which Turn A indicates was the ultimate fate of the UC colonies).

>This is actually more plausible if you really want to fit all the timelines
>together. Short of Tomino or the Turn-A staff stating for the record, I
>think all these remain pure speculations based on what little evidence was
>introduced in the TV series

  Well, _duh_. Of course it's speculation. And I'm sure Tomino devoted
all of about ten seconds' thought to how all this stuff was meant to fit
together. While Sunrise might take up the challenge of mapping out all
these overlapping chronologies at some point, I can guarantee you that
Tomino couldn't care less. And in the meantime it's a matter for
frivolous fan speculation, which is exactly what we're doing here.

  Nobody's forcing you to swallow the unified-universe theory. But, as
outlined in the series, it does give us ample opportunity to dismiss
continuity problems by saying "Well, centuries passed and they forgot all
that stuff." I'm pretty pleased that I was able to come up with a
scenario where I only have to do that once - or not at all, with the "TV
series" model. :-)

-- Mark