Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:27:48 +0800

At 11:03 AM 9/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
> Tell me about it...I mean, take the current monoply has over the American
>animation industry. Disney's been making the same movie for years, just
>based on a different legend/folktale. The only original stuff coming from
>Disney these days is Pixar, and they're not really part of Disney after
>all(If they were, they would have done Dinosaur, but instead Disney went on
>by themselves) Disney is working on a new film like Atlantis which
>apparentally will be more grown-up, but knowing how they screwed up
>Dinosaur, I wouldn't have my hopes up. And of course Titan A.E tried to be
>more adult, but let's face it, it was still aimed at kids 12-15 really.
>Butts and blood does not make something more 'mature'. A good story does.
> Plus, I'm not fond of most American animation aesthetically either. It's
>overanimation. I prefer the more relaxed movement of anime characters to the
>flappiness of Looney Tunes and Disney.

I also think it's a matter of perspective on both audience and
cartoon-makers in America. Their culture grew up with the kiddie mentality
and the hyperviolent mighty-mouse and Tom &Jerry stuff; not to say that
anime isn't violent, but the violence of anime had a certain deliberation
and cause to it, not like in some american cartoons where it's simply done
for the hell of it. This may be just a bias, I understand, but it's how I
feel.

flashlight.

url: www.localvibe.com
ofc: (632) 4167486