Chris Maier (oom9@crosswinds.net)
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 11:13:40 -0400

Yeah, I think I might have misinterpeted that. But anyway, there seems to be
a greater empasis on co-produced OAVs these days between the two countries.
Thankfully, however, these animations still are animeish enough. As I
recall, Bubblegum Crisis 2040 was actually bought by ADV and some of their
money actually funded the project. The same soon might be true of Tenchi
Muyo; Tenchi hasn't been profitable lately, but AIC says they are
considering a third OAV series if the series becoming popular in America.
With lead-ins like DBZ and GW, Tenchi stands a pretty good chance
ratings-wise, but a lot of the merchandise they're making for it doesn't
look too good(some really hidieous looking figurines and action figures).
All the other animes on CN also have a large amount of Japanese merchandise,
but the amount of Japanese merchandise for Tenchi is rather slim-mostly
plush UFO catcher dolls, apart from the usual stuff like wall scrolls, CDs,
and video games. But Tenchi isn't as marketable as it's cohorts.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org [mailto:owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org]On
Behalf Of Sedusa66@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 8:45 AM
To: gundam@aeug.org
Subject: Re: [gundam] For the Barrel news

oom9@crosswinds.net writes:

> Is Fanboy Entertainment reliable? BTW, I've noticed that a lot of anime
> designed for the American audience has been pretty cool(American
> remakes/adaptations of anime are another story though)such as Bubblegum
> Crisis 2040, Lain,

I don't think that at least Lain was meant for american audiences... in
fact, in an interview with one of the producers I read in animerica ( or ?..
one of the bigger anime mags) they said something to the effect of "we
didn't
make this anime for americans, probably no american will get it, and we
don't
care" which I thought was kind of shitty, but it doesn't diminish how much
like that particular series..