Chris Maier (oom9@crosswinds.net)
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 17:00:01 -0400

JP3 isn't out yet though, although it currently is filming in Hawaii. It's
actually not being directed by Spielberg, he's passed the torch to Joe
Johnston, who designed most of the Star Wars spaceships along with Ralph
Mcguarrie and has also directed Jumanji and the rocketeer. They also booted
screenwriter David Koepp. The film's going to star William H. Macy and Tea
Leoni, and Sam Neill has reprised his role as Alan Grant. Rumor has it it'll
take place between JP and TLW, revealing what happened to the original park.
Makes sense since Arliss Howard(Ludow) is rumored to come back, and he died!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org [mailto:owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org]On
Behalf Of MS06ZAK@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 2:51 PM
To: gundam@aeug.org
Subject: RE: [gundam] No Gundam Novelizations

In a message dated Wed, 6 Sep 2000 2:20:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Chris
Maier" <oom9@crosswinds.net> writes:

<< Yeah...I sort of backed away from Star Wars fandom last year, since there
was so much squabbling, fighting, and biterness among the fans- and also
ridiculement from the media.IMHO Phantom Menace pretty much tore things in
half, and the word "Star Wars" doesn't really hold that weight anymore-the
toys don't sell and the hype is so reduced that things are leaking and or
being revealed to the press at even a faster rate than TPM. It seems almost
like some disease that affects people who want to bring back a franchise
over a long absence. Sure, the product might do well ratings or BO wise, but
critically and merchandise wise it's a failure. This happened with The Lost
World, Phantom Menace, and Turn A Gundam, pretty much, although I would
personally argue that all three are actually quite underrated...(Yes, even
Lost World)but let's not get into that.
 Anime might have it's detractors-mostly animation 'experts' and religious
groups, but at least there is sort of a semi-unity in it's fan base.

Well I actually loved TPM and I liked Turn A enough to proofread some of the
synopsis for the AMO Tokyo Turn A Site. But I will admit I thought that
Jurassic Park II and 3 were just trying to cash in on the original. I don't
know if you have read any of the novels, but the continuity is worse then
Gundam. Jeff Goldblum's character, and Sir Richard Attenborough's
characters both died on the island in the first book. But since only Jeff
Goldblum and Sir Richard Attenborough were willing to return for a movie
sequel. They were brought back in the Lost World as if nothing happened to
them. IT was horrible. but I guess the special effects were enough to
carry the sequel in theatres.

Jason