Chris Maier (oom9@crosswinds.net)
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:19:26 -0400

Yeah...I sort of backed away from Star Wars fandom last year, since there
was so much squabbling, fighting, and biterness among the fans- and also
ridiculement from the media.IMHO Phantom Menace pretty much tore things in
half, and the word "Star Wars" doesn't really hold that weight anymore-the
toys don't sell and the hype is so reduced that things are leaking and or
being revealed to the press at even a faster rate than TPM. It seems almost
like some disease that affects people who want to bring back a franchise
over a long absence. Sure, the product might do well ratings or BO wise, but
critically and merchandise wise it's a failure. This happened with The Lost
World, Phantom Menace, and Turn A Gundam, pretty much, although I would
personally argue that all three are actually quite underrated...(Yes, even
Lost World)but let's not get into that.
 Anime might have it's detractors-mostly animation 'experts' and religious
groups, but at least there is sort of a semi-unity in it's fan base.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org [mailto:owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org]On
Behalf Of MS06ZAK@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2000 1:52 PM
To: gundam@aeug.org
Subject: RE: [gundam] No Gundam Novelizations

In a message dated Wed, 6 Sep 2000 11:29:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
"Roland Thigpen" <jenius@unspacy.org> writes:
Agreed, this is a very good series so far. And what I find very enjoyable
about it is that one of my favorite authors, RA Salvatore wrote the first of
the New Jedi Order novels. Although I still think this new enemy is a little
too much like the enemy from the Black Fleet Crisis books. Yes, there are
differences, but there is also alot of similarity between the two.

Roland>>

Agreed, except these Aliens have outlasted the Yevethan by 1 book and
counting. Also They are still crushing the New Republic. I think the
biggest part is the fact that it isn't predictable. I mean yeah the
Yevethans were tough, but you knew that all of the major characters would
triumph, and there would be a victory. The Yuuzhan Vong have already
achieved a higher body, as well as Planet, count. And tell me Vector Prime
didn't bring you to tears. I like Salvatore too. I got sick of the bum rap
he got from SW fans who didn't like the dirty work he was forced to perform.
Especially since the dirty work was suggested by George Lucas himself.

Jason