garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 07:13:11 -0700 (PDT)

>Aces would
> more than likely be willing to put up with the
> increased risk in
> order to get all their kills confirmed.

are you serious??? i know i'm not as bad as kai
shiden...but that reason just strikes me as totally
ridiculous (no offense intended). to purposefully
lay oneself on the firing line for the sake of kill
counts? i know there's a matter of pride and bragging
rights involved, but wouldn't taking increased risks
(as if combat flying isn't risky enough) a tad absurd?
anyone with real combat air time confirm this? if i
were an ace, i'd rather be colored like a normal joe
and take advantage of surprise element. honorable
fighting is a figment of fiction.

>(I suppose
> this reason is
> negated by modern gun and missile cameras?)

yup. and computer systems. i suppose there'd be
friend or foe profile systems, no?

> Another reason for the colors is that squad leaders
> would want to be
> distinctive so that their pilots could quickly
> identify their leader
> and know whether to retreat, get in formation, etc.

this is a more feasible reason.

> This would be
> very important with the limited communications of
> the Gundam era. In
> fact, in the flying circuses of WWI, every plane was
> painted
> differently so that everyone could indentify each
> other quickly in a
> dog fight. Thus experienced pilots could quickly
> come to the aid of
> the novices, if they saw they were in trouble.
>
> And then we have the good old intimidation factor.

or the giggle effect of, say, a hobby hizack. ;)

> So proudly paint your MS in day-glo colors!

i bet the tallgeese painted in marvin the martian
colors (hey, the helmet fits...) would shock the socks
off anyone. yeah!

-garr