Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 17:06:24 -0700

>Simply put, NO!
>
>I didn't like 8th MS Team for several reasons.
>
>1) I didn't really care for the characters at all. I mean, only at the end
>were Shiro/Aina sympathetic, and then again, they were only slightly
>sympathetic. I felt much more for 0083 and Gundam Wing characters.

Agreed. For some reason, I feel an invisible wall was put in between the
audience and the characters.

>2) Mecha design - Nothing really new or exciting, just the standard UC stuff.

When was the last time you see a mobile suit being parachuted, though?

>Also, I really couldn't get into the "weak" Gundam premise. Maybe I'm just
>biased from the "God-like" abilities of the Gundams from 0083, CCA, X, and
>Wing, but the Gundam(s) getting their @$$es kicked by a standard MS is
>just laughable and goes against all previous series.

The team should have been using GMs if the production staff had the balls
to not cave into Bandai's demand for a show with a new Gundam design.

>3) The ending... I kind of liked the conclusion with the little kids, but
>it was kind of too "storybook," with Shiro & Ayna with the little house
>and a kid on the way. I mean, heck, even Wing wasn't that idealistic!!

You didn't have to buy that ending, since it was an extra ending that wasn't
really part of the series anyway.

>Overall, I think 8th MS was episodic, (continuity was a pain with episodes
>taking place apparently "weeks" after each other). The court marshal thing
>was an unnecessary sub-plot and CONFUSING. Plus, they made the Gundam look
>very weak, and the characters were poorly developed.
>
>Best Gundam series, hardly!

I think the story and characters really suffered from the fact that they
had different directors... I think the guy who replaced the deceased
director did the best he could to pack in some serious action though.
The first half of the series was just sleep-inducing.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0