BlazeEagle@aol.com
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 20:37:09 EDT

  The discussion about the new mech. got me thinking and I thought I'd share
my thoughts. I don't mean to hurt anyone and don't think it will, but I
apologize in advance if it does. These are my thoughts and are not directed
at any person or person's on this list. Now, onto my thoughts:

  What's the point of a humanoid robot, anyway? Legs can go over different
types of terrain, more then an ATV or hover craft can go over. Basically, all
one would need is legs, with a torso for the cockpit and for weapon mounts,
arms wouldn't be needed.

  To me, the point of having hands/claws, is to make the robot multi purpose,
I.E., hold a rifle and a shield, hold a bridge up for repairs or during
construction, help build a building, etc.

  Before you say something like "But we have equipment to do all this, like
cranes," let me say this. There are places that modern building equipment
can't go or is to risky to build at, like rugged mountain terrain. A
humanoid, giant, robot could be designed for this purpose, a crane could be
designed to fit in it's "Back Pack" and the robot, with it's arms and leg's,
could brace itself and readjust it's limbs to keep the crane steady and
secure when it's lifting materials, if the ground shifted any.

  While I really like giant humanoid robots and would like to see one made,
it's pretty impractical price wise, currently. No, I don't mean make one
right now, but there's likely to be a time in the Future, when robot arms and
legs for to replace lost limbs, will be common place and work just as good,
if not better, then our own human limbs. Then, all it would take is to
upscale the limbs.

  My point is robots like Gundam's are very complex and look how far Gundam
takes place at in the Future, Yes I am quite clear that Gundam IS
science-fiction and NOT science. It's unlikely, but possible that something
like the Minovensky could be discovered. Just because something's science
fiction now, doesn't mean it cannot become science fact. Going to the Moon
used to be purely science fiction.

  My point is, it's pretty silly to except something like a giant robot
anime, to be as realistic as possible. Yes, it should be believable, but if
science-fiction was super, hard-core realistic, then it would so steeped in
science fact, that there would be little room for fiction. Story tellers can
and will take liberties to make their story interesting, especially in
something that's science fiction.

Science-fiction is the realm of imagination, it's usually based somewhat in
fact, but not totally. I think some people expect too much out of science
fiction. Yes, there's probably science fantasy as well, I think Dunbine is
science fantasy, from the little I've been able to find about it, in English.

Aaron