Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 01:09:59 -0700

Rawk :P
I can now say I've seen at least a little bit of every alternate universe
story, and almost every Gundam series in general, too. Only things I haven't
been exposed to are F-91 and Victory.
But back to the point, I watched the first two episodes of G Gundam tonight,
and it really blew away my preconceptions. I was expecting it to be
hokey/silly enjoyable, but it actually turned out to fairly engrossing, and
didn't really go as far out as I expected. Admittedly, two episodes isn't a
large sample space, but I enjoyed these two more than the first two of Wing
or X, and I'd put it right on par with Turn A in terms of series
I-really-really-wanna-finish-watching. The animation is better than I
expected, I like the character designs, and somehow the mobile suit designs
don't seem quite so silly when you see them in motion. Another bonus is I've
yet to see a character who I truly disliked (see: Wing->Heero/Relena,
X->Tifa/Jamil, 0083->Kou) and so far thats been a reasonably good indicator
as to the degreee i'm going to like a series.

One question (not really a spoiler) relates to Neo-America's Gundam. I seem
to remember a similar thread on the GML a long while ago, but are we sure
its the "Gundam Maxter"? I saw it fansubbed as "MacStar" and when you hear
people say the name, there's a perceptible pause between the two syllables,
not something you'd expect from Maxter. Add on the fact that MacStar
actually seems like a fairly reasonable name for an American Gundam, it
almost has me convinced.

My verdict is G Gundam has a bad rap, and only time (and me finishing
watching both series) will tell whether Turn A or G ends up being the best
of the four alternate universes.

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler