garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:30:45 -0700 (PDT)

--- Alfred Urrutia <ledzep@d2.com> wrote:
> garrick lee wrote:
>

> > anyway...what's wrong with anime on cel?
> >

> Who said there was anything wrong with it? It was a
> list of the top 10
> movies that should've been made into live action
> movies. That just
> means people would love to see them filmed live
> action, that's all.

oy. my bad. i seem to be defensive when people come
up with top 10 lists like these (after gundam wing on
cn, and the debacle of escaflowne on fox).

and seeing mariah carey's name *boo hiss* plastered on
the same sentence with macross *bows and scrapes* just
about short circuited my neurons.

> > what is so undeniably good about live-action films
> > that anime has to be "upgraded"? it's all good as
> it
> > is. we get less talentless pretty faces hamming
> it up
> > on cel.
> >

> Of course if everybody concentrates on how horribly
> a live action movie
> can be done (comments about low budgets, plastic
> tentacles, Guyver,
> etc.)

well, there's something lovable about giants in
spandex and lizards in rubber suits...i dunno...

on guyver...i actually thought the movie was more
decent than the series. :P

> then, ya, what's the point? That list said
> nothing about the top
> 10 movies that should be butchered with a bad live
> action cast and no
> money for effects. I don't know about you but since
> I was a kid I've
> thought about how cool it would be to be aboard the
> Yamato or flying a
> Valkyrie or seeing a GM walk down my street. And
> also, I don't know
> about any of you, but *my* fanatasies about that
> happening are never cel
> animated, get it?

yeah, me too. point taken. :)

my fantasies also included getting the idol singer and
having another woman chasing after me, besides. :]

> It's a "real" Space Battleship
> bridge, it's a real
> cat launch in a VF-1A, it's a real street and a real
> mobile suit
> stomping by, I'm wearing a real flight suit or
> uniform, etc. I'd love
> to see that done right. I've seen it done in
> animation, I know it can
> be done and I know how cool it looks that way.

well...the last mechanized thing i've seen on the
movie was...er,...robocop 1 and 2. i sort of like the
way they did robocop's glaug-like enemy.

ok, that's a long time ago. you can tell i don't like
silver screen all that much.

but if they do something as real and "weighty" as the
robocop droid -- as opposed to uberfluid animation
like "dinosaur" -- i suppose it'd be good. but
robocop wasn't cgi.

i still can't make up my mind about phantom menace
animated droids, though.

how's g-savior? anyone watched it yet?

> Have
> you noticed that
> anime has gotten more and more realisitic looking?
> More believable
> human movements, more detail in the background
> paintings, realisitic
> colors and mechanisms?

well, the character designs in 0083 are more in tune
with realism.

> What does that tell you,
> that they *don't* try
> to look as real as possible? Where are the new mech
> series with *less*
> frames per second, with *less* detail in the
> machines and character
> designs, huh? I'm sure that top 10 list assumed
> that the end result
> wouldn't be an embarrassing eyesore.

well, if they did it like an animated version of
katoki's gundam fix artwork, i'd be impressed.

:)

-garr