Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:48:41 +0800

At 07:44 AM 8/29/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Sigh-Japanese live-action just isn't as well-done as their animation...
>let's try to keep it a little PG though :)

Remember the mark hamill guyver thing? ugh. I do. That thing pretty much
told me how bad things can get. On the other side of the tracks, one does
have tank girl the movie. and my favorite should-have-been-an-anime-movie
Cherry 2000.

But seriously guys, when they do get campy, they don't do it in half
measures. just look at all that Ultraman stuff. A 50-foot tall guy
wearing read and silver spandex and a crazy helmet is going to save the
earth. Lovely. Of course. my country is notorious for campy stuff too,
like a local version of batman and robin, complete with a dance number,
some really nasty innuendoes involving Bat-Tea, and an overweight, overaged
comedian as batman. EGADZ.

And then we have a folk hero named Panday (Blacksmith), whose sword becomes
short or long depending on the need, fires lightning bolts, and battles
demon ninjas in a desert (on a tropical island), and his big enemy is a guy
who dresses up like Zorro minus the mask. He's played by a guy whose
sideburns can make elvis cringe. This same actor is also well known in his
other action movies for being able to fire about 500 bullets from a sixgun.

AND!

the cheesiest action scene? one movie hero here has only one bullet left
in his gun, and a knife...two people are rushing towards him in opposite
directions. What does he do? aims gun in the middle of both, puts knife
in front of gun, and fires. bullet gets split by the knife, and kills both
bad guys. EEEK.

I think Philippine action movies are by far the most bizarre I've seen.

However, I have to give credit where it's due...when I do see a good local
movie here in the pinas, it's stuff like "Once upon a time", whre the
protagonist is a Tikbalang (Werehorse/centaur-like being) who is actually a
coward, and has to save humans who have fallen into the faerie domain. Or
the Magic Series (Magic Temple, Magic Kingdom) which explores a similar
idea. even though the effects are bad, the stories are good.

anyways, enough of the OT.

Gundam is nice and all, but for it to be made into a live-action movie
would require big American-style budgets...

flashlight.

www.localvibe.com

url: www.localvibe.com
ofc: (632) 4167486