L. M. Lloyd (ubik@austin.rr.com)
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 20:54:17 -0500

- ----- Original Message -----
From: ROBOTICK <jercar@aristotle.net>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2000 3:39 PM
Subject: [gundam] Questions!... Answers?

> I'm a little confused about somethings I've heard mentioned several
> times, but I've never seen:
>
> 2. Vinyl kits? As in the material records and lawn chairs are
> made of? Pros/cons?

Vinyl kits are made out of a material quite similar to the material
used in dog squeak toys. Typically that vinyl in kits is a little
harder than dog toys, but only a bit.

Pros: Vinyl is the cheapest of the hand pourable casting materials,
which means that it is often well suited for large, obscure subject
matter. Vinyl holds detail well, and can have almost unlimited
undercut, meaning that the parts have no casting seam.

Cons: Vinyl kits are without a doubt the hardest to work with of any
material ever used for casting. The parts often have to be heated up
to get them back to their proper shape, the joints where the parts
meet often require an annoying amount of work to make look right, and
good luck getting anything (paint, glue, putty) to stick to vinyl. As
though al of this does not sound bad enough, you also can't sand or
file vinyl, and it does not cut as you would expect when you use an
exacto.

> 37. Resin? As in the clear, hard stuff you run your bow through
> before you play a stringed instrument? Pros/Cons?

Resin kits are made out of a hand pourable, two-part polyurethane
resin. The consistency of resin is hard to compare to any other
material, but the consistency can vary greatly from one type of resin
to another, so be sure to know what kind of resin the kit is made of
before purchasing. Most Japanese kits now days use a very nice while
resin, though depending on the shop they might use a slightly harder
tan resin, or a slightly softer grey resin. Recasts are a total game
of Russian roulette, as far as resin quality goes. Kits recast in HK
often use the same nice white resin, but some recasts also use a
nasty tan resin that is most like peanut brittle.

Pros: Resin is just simply the best material you can make a kit out
of. Resin allows a limited amount of undercut, which means that the
detailing and styling can be much more dynamic than injection plastic
kits. Resin parts are solid, which means that they can be sanded and
filed to the desired shape quite easily on those occasions that you
want to modify a design. Good resin is near the consistency of wood
in terms of softness, so it is easy to work with, and holds detail
quite well. Resin is very inert, so you do not have to worry about
stripping agents, and solvents damaging the kit.

Cons: Resin kits are always limited production, so are more
expensive. Resin kits are designed for serious modelers, so require
more work than modern snap fit Bandai kits.