Leslie_R (trojan@atoka.net)
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:08:09 -0500

this didn't bounce the first time

--
                                  -Balki Bartokamouse

attached mail follows:

considering that Gundam came out on the cups of the 80s i would submit that it and the GM line it spawned would have more in common iwht another earlier weapons system.. the F-15 and F-16

when first introduced the F-15 was the badest boy on the lbock (still is depending on what block you mean) it was one of if not the first fighter to have a opower to weight ratoi capable of allowing it to accelerate in the vertical plane.. it was only .5 Mach slower than the fastest jet aircraft ever to fly (the SR-71) and it's weapons systems are stil quite lethal, not only that it was nimble enough to dog-fight effectivly wiht fighters half it's size.. it was indeed a superb air superiority fighter and still serves proudly to this day, thouhg being suplanted by the F-22.. it's only eaknesses, cost and specializatoin.. thus began the search for a multi-roel fighter that would be more cost-effective.. The result was of course the highly succesfull and veraetile, yet smaller and less powerfull, F-16..

we can see a comparable design history in the Gundam and GM.. the Gundam is the best of the best federation close-combat space-fighter MSs (which was later re-designed into the gournd-pounding (G) varient.. not unlike the E modle tactical bomber varient F-15) and later since the first is way way too exspensive we get the lighter multi-purpose GM series.. I'd say a fairer comparison between contemporary fighter-craft development and UC MS development for the F-22 would be the Zeta Gundam and not the original RX-78-2

-Les

--
                                  -Balki Bartokamouse