Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
23 Aug 2000 14:02:13 -0000

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:15:50 -0400 Dom Tetreault <domt@mail.mcr.ca> wrote:
>On Wednesday, August 23, 2000 8:21 AM, Roland Thigpen
>[SMTP:jenius@unspacy.org] wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 18:27:19 +0800 Trent <dchunghk@netvigator.com> wrote:
>
>> >Is the US version DVDs of Gundam Wing edited or cut??
>
>> No, they even have the original openings and endings in the English dub
>version.
>
>That seems a bit bizarre. I was out renting some stuff on the weekend and
>they had a domestic GW tape that said 'Unedited Version' on it. Mind, it
>could have been subbed, I just glanced at it and snickered.
>
>- dom

Why is that bizarre? They have editted and uneditted versions of the dubbed VHS tapes and completely unedited DVDs that have both subbed and dubbed versions on it (there are no VHS subs of Wing). If you see any new anime on tv anymore and then later on tape, it will most likely follow this pattern. Additionally, most companies are now releasing only dubbed versions of VHS and the subs are now only going to be released on DVD. AnimeVillage is doing this now with alot of their Gundam stuff (soon to be expanded to other titles as well I believe), and ADV is doing that now with alot of their new releases....or at least will be soon enough. Subbed videos don't sell all that well in America (mostly only to avid anime fans, and by now, most of those have DVD players...and besides, DVDs are usually the better bargain).

So, exactly why would having completely unedited DVDs be bizarre?

Roland