Leslie_R (trojan@atoka.net)
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:34:38 -0500

Paul Fields wrote:

> > I know you're not a doofus.
>
> No SARCASM intended at all, but this seems to be the highest
> compliment I can give people these days, I have a very short list
> of people who aren't total dumb***es, and I let them know. In
> traditional flattery this wouldn't get me very far, but to me its like
> Peter Lorre in Casablanca, his character trusts Rick, not because
> he's a friend, but because he isn't.
>
> I don't go looking for geniuses, just people who aren't dumb...
>
> Now for the where no man has gone before angle, we got whole
> blocks of rainforest, and innerspace, and subterranean adventure
> on this rock... There are many things we could learn from outer
> space, but there are more we could learn here that on a thousand
> dead lifeless rocks in the universe... So if you're playing the odds
> of finding something new and different, Earth is the safe bet...
>
> However to use the JMS point, if we don't go to space, and one
> rock hits this place, we're toast, and no one will be left to mourn
> us.
>
> Well what are the odds of that right... apparently according to a
> show on the discovery channel, a couple of Hiroshima strength
> blasts go off in the atmosphere every year from rocks too little
> to make an Earth impact... others with enough force to set off
> the Norad nuke detection network have hit in the last decade,
> but due to their timing landed in the ocean doing very little real
> damage... The rock that hit Russia back at the turn of the century
> could screw up a lot of people in a populated area... if a similar
> impact were to happen today.
>
> The other problems that relate to space exploration are where
> would we go, how would we get there, and the biggie, how do
> we live long enough to see where there is... I'm all for the trip,
> and I'd have my Gundam DVDs ready to go in a few minutes
> if there was a ship leaving today, but if we left right now, we'd
> all stop around Mars, have a difficult trip, cause some permenant
> damage to our bodies, and probably die of complcations from
> lung disease when our scrubbed air wasn't sufficient, and what
> we brought with us is all used up.
>
> It takes money, dedication (Kennedy like dedication) and some
> smart people (back to my original point) to get us there.
>
> Sorry if anybody feels their time got wasted... to make this more
> of a Gundam talk, waystations, like colonies, human habitats, and
> long term settlements are the first steps... when you stride the stars
> be sure to watch the first steps... their a doosie.
>
> Paul

which was my point in the first place.. the ociean floor has bene farily
wel mapped and what's the point of digging through the rock-strata here?
and as for the rainforest? do you really thing Greenpeace will sit idly
by when we start plungign ahead into them? what i was trying to say was
not about goign somewhere jsut ot have a look around, that at the most
would make the rest of the populatoin go "oooohhh, aahhhh" and the go
right on about it's buisness, striking out for a new life and livelyhood
in a hostile environment iw what i was trying ot say (granted we could
liekly experience this at the bottom of our oceans a la Seaquaet, but
that may not be exotic enough to capture the imaginatoin of our populace
and hld it's attention) as i said before in Gundam the OYW didn't start
untill near th eturn of the century UC.. why? because the spacenoids
were too busy establishing themselves in space ot worry about invading
anybody..

-Les

--
                                  -Balki Bartokamouse