Paul Fields (johnny_raiden@hotmail.com)
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:34:25 -0400

> I know you're not a doofus.

No SARCASM intended at all, but this seems to be the highest
compliment I can give people these days, I have a very short list
of people who aren't total dumb***es, and I let them know. In
traditional flattery this wouldn't get me very far, but to me its like
Peter Lorre in Casablanca, his character trusts Rick, not because
he's a friend, but because he isn't.

I don't go looking for geniuses, just people who aren't dumb...

Now for the where no man has gone before angle, we got whole
blocks of rainforest, and innerspace, and subterranean adventure
on this rock... There are many things we could learn from outer
space, but there are more we could learn here that on a thousand
dead lifeless rocks in the universe... So if you're playing the odds
of finding something new and different, Earth is the safe bet...

However to use the JMS point, if we don't go to space, and one
rock hits this place, we're toast, and no one will be left to mourn
us.

Well what are the odds of that right... apparently according to a
show on the discovery channel, a couple of Hiroshima strength
blasts go off in the atmosphere every year from rocks too little
to make an Earth impact... others with enough force to set off
the Norad nuke detection network have hit in the last decade,
but due to their timing landed in the ocean doing very little real
damage... The rock that hit Russia back at the turn of the century
could screw up a lot of people in a populated area... if a similar
impact were to happen today.

The other problems that relate to space exploration are where
would we go, how would we get there, and the biggie, how do
we live long enough to see where there is... I'm all for the trip,
and I'd have my Gundam DVDs ready to go in a few minutes
if there was a ship leaving today, but if we left right now, we'd
all stop around Mars, have a difficult trip, cause some permenant
damage to our bodies, and probably die of complcations from
lung disease when our scrubbed air wasn't sufficient, and what
we brought with us is all used up.

It takes money, dedication (Kennedy like dedication) and some
smart people (back to my original point) to get us there.

Sorry if anybody feels their time got wasted... to make this more
of a Gundam talk, waystations, like colonies, human habitats, and
long term settlements are the first steps... when you stride the stars
be sure to watch the first steps... their a doosie.

Paul