Yves Sakai (yves@hawaii.edu)
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 12:41:52 -1000

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 BlazeEagle@AOL.COM wrote:
> Anime can be done right on US TV, Gundam Wing proved it. There is no excuse
> for this. >>

Actually, truth be told, I liked Gundam W for what it was worth, but it
didn't dazzle me.

> Yep, I totally agree. Editing is bad, bad, bad. Editing an anime usually
> turns it into something it's not. Instead of Escaflowne, Fox should have
> gotten a KIDS anime for Fox Kids, not something for mature viewers and
> editing it to make it "apporite". There are plenty of KIDS action anime to
> import, right? Like DigiMon, I like it, but like PokeMon, these where KIDS
> anime ORIGINALITY.

Oookkkaaay... But then again folks, what they let kids see in Japan is
much different from what we "let" kids see here. I think they may see it
as way different markets. Pokemon might have crossed over relatively
unscathed, but I am not sure if anything else would. I mean what "kids"
anime would you bring down? Anpanman? I am sure it would get some watchers
but not as many.

> Companies should either bring it to TV unedited or release it direct to video
> only.

I think we would see a LOT less anime this way.

> Companies need to import KIDS anime for kids, not stuff that needs
> editing to make it child apporite. Thank goodness I was able to catch
> Escaflowne in it's original form.
>
> I strongly urge people who have never seen Escaflowne, borrow, rent or buy
> the AnimeVillage version and watch it, before making a judgment on
> Escaflowne. Watch Fox's version if you want to, just do not judge Escaflowne
> of Fox's version.

I can and I will... but I will keep in mind that it is Fox's Escaflowne
and not the japanese one. *shrug*

I have only seen one ep so far, so it really is too early for me to
judge. So far, it looks better than the Robotech port.
___