KurenaiJiku (kurenaijiku@tech-base.com)
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 09:43:27 -0700

I think if you have a chance to compress a long and complicated story like
Escaflowne, you're not going to be able to do it into a 2 to 3 hour length.
 Now knowing that the movie is less than 2 hours long, I understand why
they may wanted to skip all the details of the characters. If they had to
develop the characters and tell the main events of the story, I know they
wouldn't have been able to. To develop that many characters, you would
need a substantial amount of time; as proven with the TV series. The TV
series IS that length for a reason. Even the smallest of events that are
in the TV series are there to develop the characters and make you
understand them better. In the movie, they don't get that sort of leeway,
and you guys having seen the movie and the TV series will think that the
movie will of course be the underdog due to the lack of this character
development. Unforuntately, development requires time; something the movie
does not have.

If they had chose to make a unique storyline for the movie just to add in
character development, then fans would be confused and people would
complain. I think the main reason the movie was released was to implement
the characters and world into motion picture quality because the creators
felt it was worthwhile. They probably wanted to see their prized work into
a cinematic motion picture; on the big screen, as most say. Frankly
speaking, for me, I would want to see my characters on the big screen one
day in whatever form they may be. It's a much different feeling that if
you put your characters on TV.