Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 00:34:58 -0700

I'd have to agree with his assessment of the Escaflowne movie. Esca really
has a special place in my heart, since it was one of the first series I
watched in its entirety and remains one of the best examples of how moving
anime can be. As an Escaflowne fan, I wasn't sure what to think of the movie
going into it ... I'd seen the concept art, and can honestly say I didn't
like the character designs, and everything I'd read about the compressed
story didn't bode well. When I finally got to see it, I ended up being a
little dissapointed. On its own, it's not bad, if a bit rushed, but from
someone who's seen all of the Esca TV series, it was underwhelming. The
biggest problem was what they did to Folken in the movie. I won't go into
details, but it was absolutely unforgivable and destroyed the entire movie
for me. Folken stands out as one of the best anime villains ever ... and ...
ergg. Just watch, you'll understand. The second problem I had was that this
was really Van and Hitomi's movie. You could have taken any (or all) of the
TV series characters who had a cameo and wipe them from the movie without it
affecting it in the slightest ... considering the depth of characters Esca
had, this was greatly dissapointing. I'm one of the few people in the world
who liked Esca TV's ending, and found the movie's ending to have pandered
too much to the people who whined about the TV ending. Seeing as its only 90
minutes long, they really didn't have much time to work with, but
considering what they could have done with it, it's a let down. However, it
did have good points. The quality of animation was gorgeous, among the best
I've seen (however, the character designs are horrible. Esca noses + Perfect
Blue lips == bad bad bad), and of course, the music was wonderful.
These are only my opinions, and if you get a chance, everyone should see it,
if just to see what all the fuss is about, but I have a hard time
reccomending it. Considering the wide appeal Escaflowne TV has, it's really
something that can be watched all in a day/weekend (I've done it. It's a fun
centrepiece to an anime weekend with a large group of friends), and in
virtually every way the TV series is superior. Now, I think he has every
right to give a judgemental opinion on it because its just that: an opinion.
That's what reviews are, some people like it, some don't, and they let other
people know. You don't have to believe him (or me) and I encourage you to
see it yourself and make your own decision, but saying he "missed something"
because he found it boring is an invalid assertation.

ObGundam:
My roommate is taking naughty pictures of his MG Zaku II and a can of Iced
Tea ... I'll get him to scan them in once they're developed.

---
Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler