ROBOTICK (jercar@aristotle.net)
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 22:44:52 -0500

I can't believe no one told me that it was airing. Let's see, I asked all
5000 of you, and 0 replied. Geez. I guess I'll have to start off on
episode 3. Anyone feel like bringing me up to date on whats happened so
far?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roland Thigpen" <jenius@unspacy.org>
To: <gundam@aeug.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2000 10:54 AM
Subject: [gundam] (OT) Vision of Escaflowne Premier on Fox

Well, I just finished watching the premiere of The Vision of Escaflowne on
Fox, with VERY mixed opinions.

The first thing: THEY STARTED THE SERIES WITH EPISODE 2!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!
Ok, I can halfway understand this, no matter my (dissappointed and upset)
feelings over it. They most likely did this for 2 reasons: 1) Escaflowne's
first episode was not as action packed as the second. They needed some eye
candy to catch the "kids" right off. 2) The first ep showed that Escaflowne
was geared to a more mature audience than Fox Kids is normally geared
towards. While I understand this, I still despise it because, as the series
goes along, some of the stuff depends on the info you get in the first ep.
But Fox might cut that stuff out as well...of course, that would change the
entire story.

Second: the opening....didn't like it...no, not one bit. Of course, it's
better than those damn Toonami openings for the anime they show on Cartoon
Network, but still. They took out the opening song, and replaced with that
damn "America" type opening song that consists of nothing more than
instrumental music and the word Escaflowne being continually repeated. AND
THEY CHANGED THE OPENING FOOTAGE!!!! That in my opinion was sacrilege, as
the original opening pretty much told you what the story was about.

Third: the music within the show....not too bad, they kept alot of the
original BGM, but, and this is a fairly big but...they changed the music
that played when the Escaflowne was released. Instead of the original, they
played the damn Fox dub opening again...stupid, stupid, stupid...

Fourth: the voices...ok, here as well, it wasn't so bad. I thought they were
fairly well done, far better than Gundam Wing, and in some ways approaching
the job done on Cowboy Bebop's dub. So, this was a good job.

Fifth: Editing...as expected, they took out most of the scenes showing the
actual deaths of the soldiers (ie, the blood and all), but they left in the
clues that say, yes, these people are DEAD. Kinda dissappointing to someone
who saw the original, but as I said, to be expected...Still, I wish someone
would get a clue that to teach kids about violence, you need to show them
that it is violent, bloody, and deadly, and not "soften" it up for them. We
live in a violent world. IMO, the only way to tone this down is to prove to
the young the consequences of that violence.

So, overall, how does it rate? Well, I can forgive the editing, somewhat,
and I certainly don't mind them taking out the end song "Mystic Eyes" (never
really cared for it), but the changes they made to the opening, and starting
on episode 2 is almost...ALMOST...unforgiveable, IMO. Still....it does get
the series on the air in America, something that a few years ago when I
first saw it, I wouldn't have really thought possible. And with the fairly
decent dubbing, I guess I might be able to live with it until I can get the
DVDs that are supposed to be released later this year or early next year. It
all depends on what else is cut out. At least the quality is better than the
copies of the series I have at present...

That's all I can think of right now. I think I'll drown the sorrows I have
over the bad parts of this premier by listening to my Escaflowne OSTs now.

Roland