fsjmk (fsjmk@uaf.edu)
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 19:33:02 -0800

Someone asked about the Escaflowne: A Girl In Gaea movie. Here's my opinion:
Don't wait up for it. It's a darker take on the TV series and not for the
better. Compressing the basic plot of a TV show into a feature length animated
film was done with much greater success in Macross: Do You Remember Love? In
much the same way that the Fox Kids' Escaflowne lacks the subtlety and
introspection of the Japanese TV series, A Girl In Gaea lacks the innocence
and awe of the original series. Everything good about the series, except maybe
the music, is reduced to one-dimensional proportions. I can't think of a
single change made in the story that was for the better. In fact, the movie
was so mediocre & uninvolving, I have a hard time remembering what happened in
it. Boooooooring. Escaflowne just isn't a story that can work as a 2-hour
film.