fsjmk (fsjmk@uaf.edu)
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 18:13:34 -0800

>I guess you will not watch it anymore?

It's like a car wreck. It's awful but I have to watch. :)

>> Escaflowne has the greatest soundtrack in all
>> of anime, bar none. But they chopped up the music and left it in bits and
>> pieces, replacing much of it with crappy techno-action-wannabe music.
Anyone
>> else notice the end credits of Escaflowne on Fox? One of the credits reads
>> "Additional music: Yoko Kanno". What the hell? Additional music? Her music
is
>> as important to Escaflowne as John Williams' is to Star Wars. Additional
>> music?!? Die, Fox Kids, die!!!
>
>Boy... such emotion. *shrug* I guess I may be a little flippant, but I am
>just glad I get to see it on TV. Perhaps I will like it enough to want to
>check out the original.

As someone else said, there's no excuse for the hack job. If they wanted to
show something on the air, why waste money & time butchering an existing work?
Might as well simply buy a show that already meets Saturday morning airwave
standards, save money not editing the hell out of it, and then just put it on
the air. It may sound like a cliche but I'll say it: the original Vision Of
Escaflowne is so much better than the hacked-up, edited, American version it's
not even funny. The easiest way to see the contrast in tone between the
Japanese and American versions of Escaflowne is to compare the opening
sequences. It's like night and day.

American Escaflowne opening:
http://www.apollo.burdell.org/jesmaster/ESC/Esca-FoxKidsOP.mpg

Japanese Escaflowne opening: