Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
19 Aug 2000 15:54:22 -0000

Well, I just finished watching the premiere of The Vision of Escaflowne on Fox, with VERY mixed opinions.

The first thing: THEY STARTED THE SERIES WITH EPISODE 2!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!! Ok, I can halfway understand this, no matter my (dissappointed and upset) feelings over it. They most likely did this for 2 reasons: 1) Escaflowne's first episode was not as action packed as the second. They needed some eye candy to catch the "kids" right off. 2) The first ep showed that Escaflowne was geared to a more mature audience than Fox Kids is normally geared towards. While I understand this, I still despise it because, as the series goes along, some of the stuff depends on the info you get in the first ep. But Fox might cut that stuff out as well...of course, that would change the entire story.

Second: the opening....didn't like it...no, not one bit. Of course, it's better than those damn Toonami openings for the anime they show on Cartoon Network, but still. They took out the opening song, and replaced with that damn "America" type opening song that consists of nothing more than instrumental music and the word Escaflowne being continually repeated. AND THEY CHANGED THE OPENING FOOTAGE!!!! That in my opinion was sacrilege, as the original opening pretty much told you what the story was about.

Third: the music within the show....not too bad, they kept alot of the original BGM, but, and this is a fairly big but...they changed the music that played when the Escaflowne was released. Instead of the original, they played the damn Fox dub opening again...stupid, stupid, stupid...

Fourth: the voices...ok, here as well, it wasn't so bad. I thought they were fairly well done, far better than Gundam Wing, and in some ways approaching the job done on Cowboy Bebop's dub. So, this was a good job.

Fifth: Editing...as expected, they took out most of the scenes showing the actual deaths of the soldiers (ie, the blood and all), but they left in the clues that say, yes, these people are DEAD. Kinda dissappointing to someone who saw the original, but as I said, to be expected...Still, I wish someone would get a clue that to teach kids about violence, you need to show them that it is violent, bloody, and deadly, and not "soften" it up for them. We live in a violent world. IMO, the only way to tone this down is to prove to the young the consequences of that violence.

So, overall, how does it rate? Well, I can forgive the editing, somewhat, and I certainly don't mind them taking out the end song "Mystic Eyes" (never really cared for it), but the changes they made to the opening, and starting on episode 2 is almost...ALMOST...unforgiveable, IMO. Still....it does get the series on the air in America, something that a few years ago when I first saw it, I wouldn't have really thought possible. And with the fairly decent dubbing, I guess I might be able to live with it until I can get the DVDs that are supposed to be released later this year or early next year. It all depends on what else is cut out. At least the quality is better than the copies of the series I have at present...

That's all I can think of right now. I think I'll drown the sorrows I have over the bad parts of this premier by listening to my Escaflowne OSTs now.

Roland