-Z- (z@gundam.com)
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 21:03:12 -0700

I've been through a couple of wars, having enlisted during the Vietnam conflict
and retired shortly after the Persian Gulf conflict—now calle the "Southeast
Asia" and "Southwest Asia" Campaigns—with the Granada incident sandwiche neatly
in between.

War is not causal, because war is an effect, a symptom if you will, of a
breakdown of politics and diplomacy. Granted that everyone is in competition
for the same resources, it's nevertheless true that cooperation between
competitors is better for both than any possible result of conflict between
them. War is always—or, more correctly, SHOULD always be a last resort.

Everyone wants to win and some even like to fight, but we all prefer to win
without grief.

As Gundam 0080 so aptly showed us, the only people who are enthusiastic about
war are those who are blithely innocent of its realities.

Those who claim that we "progress" or "evolve" through conflict are mistaking
technological and engineering innovation for progress and evolution. An armored
dinosaur or pincered beetle is not more highly evolved than a flying dinosaur or
butterfly, only better protected against a certain class of carnivorous
predator. Forging swords isn't progress, but beating them into plowshares is.
Progress comes AFTER the war, when the innovations are applied to cooperative
ventures.

-Z-