garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 18:46:13 -0700 (PDT)

> >just because you don't agree with total pacifism
> >doesn't mean it has no place in g wing, or real
> life,
> >for that matter.
> >the issue is NOT about that people with big (and
> >bigger) sticks will always be around.
> >first problem -- many people WANT to have big
> sticks
> >for the sake of having big sticks. the REAL
> problem
> >and what compounds the first, is that everyone
> refuses
> >to let go of their sticks and insist on, uhm,
> sticking
> >it to everyone else when there are other, ehm,
> >stick-less methods of resolution. "because
> someone
> >else might use his stick on me" is just an excuse.
> >"because someone else might have a bigger stick" is
> >another excuse for arms race.
> >paranoia. gotta love it.
> >-garr
> >not a total pacifist but enjoyed the whole total
> >pacifism schtick in g wing nonetheless :)
>
> I don't care about the reasons for having "sticks".
> I just see the need
> for an equalizing factor against people who like to
> abuse the usage of
> their sticks. and believe me. turning the other
> cheek is fine in the
> idealistic sense...but not when it leads to possible
> permantent
> consequences, like death or genocide or creation of
> a pattern of abuse.

*swats richie with zz beam saber*

now THAT is a man's stick!

i disagree, richie. you must be a good cough syrup.
you don't just deal with the symptoms. you must deal
with the source of the cough. (ok, i've watched too
many commercials...)

i have never been a proponent of turning the other
cheek. but the whole issue isn't (shouldn't,
actually) be just about the equalizing factor of
carrying sticks or supposedly neutralizing factor of
turning cheeks. if you don't address the reasons
for carrying sticks, this issue is never getting
solved, and humanity IS bound to get caught up in the
endless waltz of war and peace (peace a.k.a. momentary
timeout).

and no, i don't think the best answer is to cause a
war so bad so as to drive the urge to fight needlessly
out of humanity. we may not have found a solution
yet, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

-garr