Leslie_R (trojan@atoka.net)
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 19:16:53 -0500

Mark Simmons wrote:

> > Why do so many Gundams have core fighters instead of the 360 degree view
> > Liner seat cockpit?
>
> The original Gundams pre-dated the introduction of the linear seat and
> panoramic display (though it was prototyped in the Alex and the GP03). Once
> these came into vogue, the feature was ditched in favor of the newfangled
> cockpit. Thus, the Gundam Mk. II and Z Gundam had no core fighter.
>
> The ZZ Gundam did manage to cram the new cockpit systems into its core
> fighter, but by that point the core fighter concept was proving to be pretty
> stupid anyway, so for the most part subsequent Gundams used standard
> cockpits.

yeah, though Crossbone Gundam (one of my new favorites thanks to
www.wingzero.net for having those manga scans available on-line) and V
Gundam have core fighters... but i do see the dificulties with the core
fighter concept.. what are the odds that your mobile suit will be so
severly crippled that it will be difficult if not immpossible to return
homeunder it's own power.. yet the core fighter will remain largely
intact? also with ZZ Gundam building a transforming fighter
(Wave-Rider -> Mobile Suit) around another transforming fighter (Core
Fighter -> Core Block) is just a tad much..

> > Was the Nu Gundam the only Federation PsychoFrame Mobile Suit?
>
> Yep, and the Sazabi was the only Neo Zeon ones.

what about the Neo-Zeon's Jagd Doga? if it didn't have a psychoframe how
did it control it's funnels? as for the Alpha Aisel if not for
Psychoframe it could concievably mount a conventional Psycommu

> > what did
> > Feddie newtypes have to make-do with between the rise and fall of the
> > Titans with their relativly large number of Psycommu equiped Mobile
> > weapons and V Gundam?
>
> Kind of a moot point, as there really weren't any Federation newtypes.
> (Excluding AEUG members, the only newtype Federation pilots from 0080 onward
> were Amuro and Seabook... and maybe Rain Eim from the Hathaway novels.)
>
> Not that anybody else had many newtypes either. The Titans and Axis had
> the funny problem of plenty of newtype mobile suits, and no newtypes. The
> Titans' newtype research labs produce only three artificial newtypes between
> them - Four, Rozamia, and Geits Kappa - and after Four's death, the Murasame
> labs are forced to borrow Augusta's newtypes to test their new hardware...

wow, what with populatoins of millioins upon millions of people living
in space i would have thought there would be mroe than a handfull of
newtypes in al that bunch.. or were ther really a higher proportion of
newtypes to oldtypes than these numbers suggest, only the rest are beter
at hiding/avoiding 'recruitment'? something to make you go hmmmmmmm...

> -- Mark

-Les

--
                                  -Balki Bartokamouse