Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 15:27:15 -0700

Nicholas "Echo|Fox" Paufler asks,

> Here's something thats always bugged me. How do you "Say" 0079, 0080,
> 0083, etc. I've always said zero-zero-eight-zero, but, for example, the
> trailer on the first Wing DVD says "double-oh-eighty-three" which just
> doesn't sound right. Hell, even in 0083 I've heard "double-oh" at least
> once in the subbed version, but I'm sure I've heard zero-zero used in
> various other series.

  It's always been "double-oh", even going back to the opening narration
from original Gundam ("uchu seiki daburu-o sebenti nain").

> Same goes for the 08th MS team, I say zero-eighth, but i've heard people
> say it without the zero in front.

  I'm less sure here, though I'd note that the last two letters of the "Ez8"
Gundam's name are supposed to stand for "zero-8". This would suggest the
intended prounciation would be "zero-eighth MS Team".

-- Mark