Leslie_R (trojan@atoka.net)
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 08:18:00 -0500

garrick lee wrote:

> --- Richie Ramos <gaijin@i-manila.com.ph> wrote:
> But the worry I have is that the new
> > audience brought in by
> > >Gundam Wing isn't going to like the original
> > series. Not only because of
> > >the old style of artwork, but also because the
> > story is so much more mature,
> > >and doesn't glorify war... Because that is what
> > Wing does. It glorifies
> > >war, even as it tries to make you think that it's
> > anti-war...
> > >How about some of the other old timers. What's
> > your take on this?
> >

> err...not an old-timer (not in gundam, anyway), but i
> respectfully refute that statement ("g wing is really
> pro-war even if it makes you think it's anti-war"
> whoever said that). it's as ridiculous as claiming
> macross is pro-war (let's not get into that again).
>
> > I think it's a sign of the times. I think what we
> > have to concentrate on
> > is just to show them all of it, and let them figure
> > it out for themselves.
> > As for gundam being Pro-War, I think not. It's not
> > about pacifism, either.
> > It's about doing what one can to protect the most
> > important things in
> > one's life. In this case...family, friends,
> > ideals...
>
> isn't one of gundam's themes to show how war is
> horrible? i'm not sure if it qualifies gundam as
> anti-war, but that sure as heck disqualifies gundam as
> being pro-war.
>
> -garr

Gundam is just like "War.. here it is" no pro or anti slogans.. just a
rare look at it from usually multiple angles, showing you that the 'good
guys' aren't the only ones dying for thier cause.. listening to one of
the rookie Gelgoog pilots at A Baou A Qu cry for his mother while his
cockpit explodes all around him was one of the things that got to me
(too often in "realistic" war movies we see all how one side is got it
so bad, seeing frineds and brothers dying left and right, putting up
with hardship of every stripe.. but stil leaving the enemy mostly
faceless and voiceless.. nevermind that the guy you're pointing a gun at
who you blame for blowing away your frinds just saw many people he cared
about lose thier lives as well)

-Les

--
                                  -Balki Bartokamouse