garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 04:02:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- Leslie_R <trojan@atoka.net> wrote:
> Richie Ramos wrote:
> >

> > LIke Marx, who believed in the ability of man to
> reach a certain
> > perfection, a lot of pacifists are blinded by the
> idea that we can achieve
> > that, or that people in power can achieve that.
> it's not possible, because
> > we have to be able to protect ourselves...no
> matter what...from outsiders
> > who are hostile. That is why I thnk Gundam UC is
> so good...because it
> > shows that point, and how abused that point can
> be.
> >
> > As for AC...well, let's just say that I don't give
> a whit about Relena's
> > total pacifism. if she had the guts to order the
> gwing boys to make sure
> > that a viable peace -- or stalemate! -- was
> achievable, then things would
> > have been much better...no series though, LOL!
> >
> as long as there is one.. just ONE beligerent person
> in the world with a
> big stick.. somebody with an even bigger stick and
> the will to use it
> when nessicariy is gonna be needed to keep him in
> line.. that's just the
> way it is
>
> -Les

just because you don't agree with total pacifism
doesn't mean it has no place in g wing, or real life,
for that matter.

the issue is NOT about that people with big (and
bigger) sticks will always be around.

first problem -- many people WANT to have big sticks
for the sake of having big sticks. the REAL problem
and what compounds the first, is that everyone refuses
to let go of their sticks and insist on, uhm, sticking
it to everyone else when there are other, ehm,
stick-less methods of resolution. "because someone
else might use his stick on me" is just an excuse.
"because someone else might have a bigger stick" is
another excuse for arms race.

paranoia. gotta love it.

-garr
not a total pacifist but enjoyed the whole total
pacifism schtick in g wing nonetheless :)