garrick lee (goner4sure@yahoo.com)
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 23:05:13 -0700 (PDT)

aaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!! fie on you, eddie! :) you just
woke this slumbering lurker with saying hikaru is
worse than kou. unforgiveable! inconceivable!

anyway, i won't add on what everyone's said about what
happened to hikaru, misa and minmei. technicalities
and datelines aside, they're all correct. in both
robotech and original japanese versions, hikaru ended
up with misa anyway. i wonder what part shoji
kawamori had a hand in, regarding 0083's whirlwindlove
triangle?

anyay, the hikaru vs. kou is a no-brainer (much as i
also hate this brainless kou-bashing going on)

1) piloting skills

hikaru by a long shot. hikaru's been flying stunt
circus since he was a kid, and kou's still flying
target practice for the real pilots.

kou may have some latent piloting ability, but it sure
never matured throughout the series, even as hikaru
was getting comfy with the valkyries from day one.
even hikaru's, er, 'familiarization flight' went off
better than kou's disastrous shakedown. hikaru ended
up hitting on minmei and misa, and kou ended up
getting his buddies killed.

2) character role

hikaru by a long shot. we could all blame the story
writers for caging kou into the role of a "tragic
failure of a hero", but that wouldn't get us very far.

hikaru and kou are both basically in the same boat as
their respective sagas start -- authority problems.
hikaru grew up and took on greater responsibilities as
a team player and eventually team leader (when fokker
died). kou remained the rather immature maverick
pilot (even after burning died in what is possibly the
worst written death of all time) who just couldn't get
things done no matter how hard he tried or how big the
mech he flew.

kou had the odds stacked against him? nah. try a
couple million zentradi flagships. or how about
facing down an angry breetai, or worse -- an angry
misa. :P

3) romancing the opposite gender.

hikaru by a long shot. geez, kou never even left home
base with nina. all that geekiness never left kou's
person (even till the end), while hikaru had virtually
none of it to begin with.

with minmei, hikaru was stealing third base before he
got to first. and with misa, he got batted right back
to home base.

i'm not really sure hikaru was totally indecisive in
picking a woman. heck, for a soap opera, his
progression from being head over heels with minmey, to
gradual disenchantment over her, to realizing what
misa meant was nicely done (of course, that's just imo
as a macross fanboy). that's simplifying things a
bit, as it was never that smooth (e.g. hikaru standing
misa up on their picnic date) -- i should say that
hikaru's supposed "indecision" wasn't borne out of the
immaturity and inexperience that plagued kou (who
couldn't even ask nina out on a movie date), but more
of being comfortable in playing both fields (and
pushing "understanding" to new limits) and taking his
time picking the picks.

4) brownie points -- hikaru's got the cooler hairdo,
by far. kou's do only makes him look like a
wet-behind-the-ears pilot. :P

hikaru ichijo is da man.

8-)

'nuff outta me.