Dafydd Neal Dyar (dafydd@dyarstraights.com)
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 21:47:00 -0700

The question came up a few days ago as to the identity of the artist who did the
ZZ Gundam illustration for the cover of the Gundam ZZ Special CD:

http://www.animenation.com/products/KICA-2045~6_l.jpg

Conjecture was that it might be Hajime Katoki, on account of the huge forehead
sensor, which is part of his style. I hazarded a guess that it might be Makoto
Kobayashi, based on a similar exaggeration.

It happens that I have this CD, but it also happens that the front cover art
isn't credited. I also have the Z Gundam Special CD, however, whose cover
illustration looks like this:

http://www.animenation.com/products/KICA-1178~9_l.jpg

This, too, is uncredited, but the background is the same and the mechanical
style similar. The character style is more to the point. Compare this:

http://www.animenation.com/products/KICA-2041_l.jpg

And this:

http://www.animenation.com/products/KICA-2042_l.jpg

I believe that the Z Gundam Special and Gundam ZZ Special covers are both the
work of Haruhiko Mikimoto.

-Z-

| W E L C O |
| M E T O |