Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:23:59 -0700

Eddie writes,

>Unfortuantely the Alex doesn't seem to have the super-duper armor the
>original RX-78-2 had, even in full armor mode. ;)

  Heh! I think that's a question of storytelling style. Otherwise,
Shiro's Ball in 08th MS Team is the toughest mobile suit of the One Year
War. :-)

>How about the pilots from Rise from the Ashes? They seem to be doing
>better than most other aces in the Giren's Greed game.

  Hm, good question. I haven't played through the Dreamcast game, so I'm
hard-pressed to rate them based on fighting style. Looking at the game
specs in G Generation and/or Giren's Greed is a good way to rank pilots,
but there are always differences of technique (like Amuro's and Gato's
creative use of decoys) that can't readily be quantified. And consider
that Visch Donahue repeatedly fails to take out the White DIngo team,
while Norris Packard fares amazingly well against the 08th MS Team with
just a single mobile suit, and takes out a full complement of Guntanks
while he's at it.

  Let's compare the Giren's Greed specs for a minute. I have a chart of
'em right here...

                      CHA COM END MELEE SHOOT REACT TOTAL LAST 3

  Char Aznable 14 14 11 17 15 15 86 47

  Challia Bull 14 12 9 10 15 14 74 39
  Anavel Gato 9 11 11 14 13 12 70 39
  Lalah Sun 11 6 10 8 15 15 65 38
  Johnny Ridden 9 8 8 11 12 14 62 37
  Ranba Ral 13 15 12 15 11 10 76 36
  Mash 6 7 10 11 13 12 59 36
  Gaia 9 12 13 13 10 11 68 34
  Cima Garahau 9 11 8 11 10 12 61 33
  Shin Matsunaga 8 11 10 12 10 10 61 32

  Norris Packard 9 10 11 10 10 8 58 28
  Steiner Hardy 6 12 8 10 9 9 54 28
  Ortega 2 5 16 13 9 6 51 28
  Nimbus Schterzen 5 2 9 13 4 8 41 25
  Garma Zabi 10 7 5 7 9 8 46 24
  Visch Donahue 7 9 5 4 12 8 45 24
  Kelley Layzner 5 5 10 8 7 9 44 24
  Toquan 7 4 6 6 8 10 41 24
  Cucuruz Doan 9 5 9 13 2 8 46 23
  Dozul Zabi 14 14 17 12 6 4 67 22
  Ma Kube 3 13 7 12 4 6 45 22

  Mikhail Kaminsky 3 4 10 7 7 6 37 20
  Bernard Wiseman 5 4 3 4 5 4 25 13
  G. Garcia Ramirez 2 0 3 2 4 3 14 9

The above are some of the top-rated Zeon pilots in the game. I've ranked
them based on the total of the last three stats, since the others aren't
directly combat-related. What does this tell us?

* Newtypes kick ass.

* The top non-newtype pilots are, in order, Gato, Johnny Ridden, Ranba
Ral, The Black Trinary, Cima, and Shin Matsunaga. Norris Packard comes in
at number 7.

* The Cyclops Team are small-time operators.

* Of non-newtype pilots, Ridden has the fastest reflexes (and he's almost
as fast as Char and Lalah). Gato and Mash have the best aim, followed by
Visch and Ridden. Ranba Ral is king of melee combat, followed by Gato,
then by a four-way tie between Gaia, Ortega, Nimbus and Cucuruz Doan.

* Dozul, Ranba Ral, and Garma are the most charismatic non-newtypes. Ral,
Dozul, and Ma Kube are the best commanders. Dozul is the toughest,
followed by Ortega and Gaia.

Gee, this is kinda fun. Maybe I'll do the Federation aces next.

-- Mark