Roland Thigpen (jenius@unspacy.org)
14 Aug 2000 22:15:03 -0000

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:06:22 -0700 Edward Ju <gundam@loop.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> about how pussywhipped and sucky an anime hero is, look no further than
>> Macross. Here's a guy who's even more indecisive when it comes to women,
>> and look what happened to him in the end - both women left him. At least
>> Kou managed to keep Nina in the end.
>> >>

>>What are you talking about? Macross or Macross 7?? I thought Misa and
>>Hikaru got married..
>>
>>Jason
>
>I was talking about Macross TV series. It's funny, I remembered that Misa
>and Hikaru got married too, but I just rewatched the series on DVD and when
>I was finally done last night I was surprised at what I remembered was
>totally wrong.
>

><Slight spoiler for those too young to remember Macross>

>Remember Misa and Hikaru's relationship was going really well until Minmey
>ran away from her singing career and pulled a disappearing act? She showed
>up at the doorsteps of Hikaru's pad and asked to stay over for the night.
>Misa was going to reconcile with Hikaru but when she realized who was
>inside she eavesdropped and then went to a bar and got shitfaced alone (this
>was Xmas eve or a day before it). Anyway, their relationship deteriorated
>from there on.
>
>By the last episode, Misa was contemplating resigning from the military to
>avoid the embarrassment of having to deal with Hikaru on a daily basis, but
>changed her mind when the captain of the Macross asked her to be the captain
>of the scout fleet that will search the galaxy for suitable planets for the
>human race to colonize so that "culture" would thrive even if the Zentradis
>returned to wipe out the rebuilt earth. She went to Hikaru's pad before the
>final attack on the city started to bid Hikaru farewell and, since she will
>not be seeing him for some time to come, mustered up the courage to confess
>that she loved him much like the way Hikaru confessed to Minmey before he
>scrambled to the fight with the main Zentradi fleet that just wiped the
>whole earth out about 2 years ago.
>
>After the final crisis was over, Minmey also decided to go leave Hikaru and
>go to a distance city to rebuild her singing career. So Hikaru is back to
>square one and all by himself again. Maybe in Robotech or the Macross movie
>Rick/Hikaru did end up with Lisa/Misa, and we're confusing it with the
>original TV series' ending.
>
>Man, the last 6 episodes of Macross were still the most depressing anime
>I've seen... with most of the main characters feeling sorry for themselves
>and not doing a thing to change it - Claudia was still hung up on Fokker
>after over 2 years, Misa was too stubborn/old fashioned to pursue happiness
>for herself, Minmey was a washed up idol singer who came to realize that she
>was virtually friendless after all was said and done, Hikaru was still a
>wuss who couldn't even deal with a small mob and he also made Kou look like
>Don Juan. The only characters that stayed well-off were the happily

Um, no. According to the MAcross Compendium, based on the official Macross timeline, and many other sources, indicate that they were married shortly before the Megaroad-01 departed Earth, and the footage from MAcross Flashback 2012 supports this. Also, they had a daughter, Miku Ichijyo shortly before communications were lost. This last bit was from production planning notes. just because it wasn't filmed doesn't mean it didn't happen and all the evidence points towards it.

Also, Max and Miriya did not have a totally happy marriage. They seperated for several years in fact, and Max gained a rep for being a womanizer. In fact, in one scene in Macross 7, a bartender comments on how he's starting to rob the craddle when he goes there with his youngest daughter, Mylene.

Roland