Edward Ju (gundam@loop.com)
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:06:22 -0700

>In a message dated 08/14/2000 4:14:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
>gundam@loop.com writes:
>
><< You know, I think all this Kou-bashing is pretty uncool. Beating a dead
> horse to the ground is only fun for so long. I mean, if you want to whine
> about how pussywhipped and sucky an anime hero is, look no further than
> Macross. Here's a guy who's even more indecisive when it comes to women,
> and look what happened to him in the end - both women left him. At least
> Kou managed to keep Nina in the end.
> >>

>What are you talking about? Macross or Macross 7?? I thought Misa and
>Hikaru got married..
>
>Jason

I was talking about Macross TV series. It's funny, I remembered that Misa
and Hikaru got married too, but I just rewatched the series on DVD and when
I was finally done last night I was surprised at what I remembered was
totally wrong.

<Slight spoiler for those too young to remember Macross>

Remember Misa and Hikaru's relationship was going really well until Minmey
ran away from her singing career and pulled a disappearing act? She showed
up at the doorsteps of Hikaru's pad and asked to stay over for the night.
Misa was going to reconcile with Hikaru but when she realized who was
inside she eavesdropped and then went to a bar and got shitfaced alone (this
was Xmas eve or a day before it). Anyway, their relationship deteriorated
from there on.

By the last episode, Misa was contemplating resigning from the military to
avoid the embarrassment of having to deal with Hikaru on a daily basis, but
changed her mind when the captain of the Macross asked her to be the captain
of the scout fleet that will search the galaxy for suitable planets for the
human race to colonize so that "culture" would thrive even if the Zentradis
returned to wipe out the rebuilt earth. She went to Hikaru's pad before the
final attack on the city started to bid Hikaru farewell and, since she will
not be seeing him for some time to come, mustered up the courage to confess
that she loved him much like the way Hikaru confessed to Minmey before he
scrambled to the fight with the main Zentradi fleet that just wiped the
whole earth out about 2 years ago.

After the final crisis was over, Minmey also decided to go leave Hikaru and
go to a distance city to rebuild her singing career. So Hikaru is back to
square one and all by himself again. Maybe in Robotech or the Macross movie
Rick/Hikaru did end up with Lisa/Misa, and we're confusing it with the
original TV series' ending.

Man, the last 6 episodes of Macross were still the most depressing anime
I've seen... with most of the main characters feeling sorry for themselves
and not doing a thing to change it - Claudia was still hung up on Fokker
after over 2 years, Misa was too stubborn/old fashioned to pursue happiness
for herself, Minmey was a washed up idol singer who came to realize that she
was virtually friendless after all was said and done, Hikaru was still a
wuss who couldn't even deal with a small mob and he also made Kou look like
Don Juan. The only characters that stayed well-off were the happily
married Max and Millia.

Eddie

&since=-1&page=1&rows=0