Chris Maier (oom9@crosswinds.net)
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:58:49 -0400

I agree with you partially there. There's a lot of death of semi-major
characters in Gundam, but the only major ones that die in Wing are the
characters we've pretty much been shown to hate(Dermail, Tuberov) and
Trieze. In the original Gundam,0080, and what I've seen of Zeta, it's shown
that the wars have a very real-and rather nasty-effect on civilians, not
only the soldiers. I think that actually the original Gundam might upset
some kids, I've actually heard of kids getting upset by the death of Trieze.
Sure,major characters in Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z die, but the thing is,
with a few exceptions, they all come back to life through some magic or
something to that fashion. In Gundam, they're dead and pretty much stay
dead.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org [mailto:owner-gundam@1u.aeug.org]On
Behalf Of Chris Beilby
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2000 5:49 PM
To: gundam@aeug.org
Subject: Re: [gundam] The state of Gundam in North America

Indeed. I saw the same thing on Gundam MUSH before we posted numerous
notices that we were NOT gundam Wing... An example of the 'shining' level
of Character applications these youngsters do is as follows...

"I would like a character sort of like the DeahScythe Hell... and I wanna be
a pilot JUST like Duo.. Duo rocks.. he is witty, quick, and doesnt heasitate
to kill."

Needless to say, this character application was turned down with a polite
referral to the Gundam Project. But the problem is that this application is
symptomatic of the situation. I'm glad that Gundam is reaching a broader
audience. But the worry I have is that the new audience brought in by
Gundam Wing isn't going to like the original series. Not only because of
the old style of artwork, but also because the story is so much more mature,
and doesn't glorify war... Because that is what Wing does. It glorifies
war, even as it tries to make you think that it's anti-war...

How about some of the other old timers. What's your take on this?