Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:43:25 -0700

Leslie_R wrote:

> Freedom045@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > In a message dated Thu, 10 Aug 2000 9:25:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Leslie_R <trojan@atoka.net> writes:
> >
> > << of course another of the things that makes 0083 unique is that it shows that the "good guys" don't always win, or make it a pyrric victory at best.. but since Kou didn't save the day i gues that's why many Gundam fans hate him and love seeing him get dumped on.. he's only human.. too human perhaps.. how many out there think thye could have handled that situatoin any better than he did?
> >
> > -Les>>
> >
> > I could have handled it better, by not being such a wuss.
>
> alright, here's a brand-new state of the art fighter, nevermind that
> we've only given you the basics of pilot taining so far.. oh and what's
> that? the enemy's leading ace is out there and he wants to kill You?
> well, have fun :)

Well, I think its hinted from episode 4 on (when there is a comment or two about the way that the search for Gato is being conducted on Earth) that the Federation command doesn't exactly intend for the Albion to succeed. With that being the case, giving the state of the art unit to a squadron that is composed partially of rookies makes complete sense. And if Kou is a test pilot, he can
undoubtedly fly a lot better than if he was just out of flight school.

> A cooler,
> it's all about the cool ones getting all the glory isn't it?
>
> more competent pilot would have been able to handle the situation better
> than Kou.

My feeling was never that Kou was a poor pilot in and of itself. He just didn't have the nerves of steel that he picks up over the series. Episode one is his first time in combat, and so after his initial adrenaline rush, he freezes up. When the bullets weren't real (beginning of episode 1, and episode 3 against Mosha(?)), he had no problem handling himself. It wasn't until his time spent
repairing the Val Valo that he develops his "combat nerves" (for lack of a better term - and I should add that why exactly repairng an armor with a possible enemy would help someone's nerves is a little beyond me).

> > The fact that Operation Stardust succeeded is irrelevant to the character of Kou Uraki. We didn't need him to save the day, we just needed to have him act like a MAN.

Personality-wise, Kou is pretty pathetic. But I think that's been noted plenty of times.

> > Gato was a legend even before his death.
> > Kou is now living in disgrace, a forgotten footnote in the world of the Universal Century.

He's mainly considered a disgrace because he stole unit 3. Of course, since Federation Command didn't intend for him or his ship to succeed in the first place, I think the fact that no one will remember him is excusable.

> > Oh, I find the fact that some people consider Kou to be the equal of Gato to be very funny indeed.

Well, speaking in Kou's defence, he did manage to fight Gato to a standstill in the final battle between units 1 and 2. But to be honest, I'd have to agree with you. Gato was always a superior pilot.

> all other things being equal the probably were (remember Nina's
> evaluation of the test-data the fist time Kou took the Gundam out?) but
> things weren't equal were they? Kou had the deck stacked against him
> from day one and things didn't get any better after that so he really
> dosn't need to be cumped-on any more for things that were out of his
> control alright?

He was just a kid. He was a pretty good pilot at the start, when the bullets weren't flying, but he'd had no combat experience, and at the start of the series, I think that was his downfall. Later on, he got his confidence, but since his own commanders had set him up to fail, he was lucky to get as far as he did.

On the bright side, at least he wasn't an egotistical jerk, like a certain other Gundam series "hero" that I can think of.

junior