Echo|Fox (echofox@wingzero.net)
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 13:49:38 -0600 (MDT)

> Yeah, the sad part being that Priss didn't actually get killed. I really hate
> Priss for some reason. Must be her bad rock & roll music.

Hey, I liked Priss' music ... i'm telling you, glam rock will be coming
back one of these days, mark me words :P Konya wa hurricane, baby :P

> > Trigun: Erg. This is too new, and this is a fairly major plot point. Trigun
> > spoilers ahead, if you haven't seen all 26, you don't want to keep reading.

> > Well, Trigun had a lot of emotional moments. When Nicholas D. Wolfwood dies,
> > I was practically in tears, and that doesn't happen very often. His
> > acceptance of death was quite moving...
>
> The thing is we knew that he was one of those Gung Ho Guns right from the start
> and that he will join Vash, which eventually will lead to his death. The sheer
> predictability didn't detract from the emotional impact however...

I think the most important part of this was you knew in the back of your
mind he was going to get "killed" but probably wouldn't REALLY die, and
when you see Nicholas in the church, saying he didn't want to die, you
almost expect him to pull through ...... then he says "I guess it doesn't
matter what I say, i'm going to die anyway.." or somesuch. Very moving.
You'd have to be pretty cold hearted not to feel for Millie after this
bit, too...

> > Another would be the first time Vash _had_ to kill someone (the saxaphone
> > playing Gung Hu Guns guy). If he didn't, Meryl and Millie were dead. You
> > really felt for Vash right there.
>
> I didn't really feel bad for Vash, in fact, I find his refusal to kill quite
> frustrating (much like the way I feel about Kenshin...) They have let psycho
> killers off the hook too easily, in the case of Kenshin, most of them reformed
> miraculously (completely unrealistic) while in Vash's case they often remain
> in their murderous ways.

Well, I agree in Kenshin it's definately not ideal, but for Trigun, i
think it fits Vash quite well. Think about it, his whole young life
revolved around Rem (sounds close to Lem, but until I swee otherwise, I
think Rem sounds better) and what she taught him, so from a very early age
he believed with all his heart that killing was wrong. The extraordinary
efforts he went to, sacrificing his own body at times, really built up the
character, whereas in Kenshin (as much as I liked it) it seemed more like
a plot device to make him a nice guy.

> The part about the girl he loved in the space ship dying was also very emotional.

Poor Rem :(

> > Hell, despite what it seems like at the start, Trigun is one of the most
> > emotionally charged series' I've ever had the pleasure of watching.
>
> I agree, Trigun has become one of my favourite series. I was actually drawn
> in by the wacky humour in the beginning of the series, even though the story
> took some unexpected turns towards the latter half, I enjoyed it more and
> more.

Agreed. The first half of the series really just sets up the characters
and their motivations in humorous ways to draw you in ... then it gets
dark, bleak, and at times, downright depressing. I loved every minute of
it, though, and can't wait to finish my DVD collection. I've heard a lot
of people complaining about the ending, why didn't Vash go back to Meryl?
I look at it the same way as Escaflowne (who's ending I also liked,
despite popular opinion). Having Vash take Knives away (and _not_ dead)
made it a much better ending than if he'd just won the fight, went home
and lived happily ever after.