Leslie_R (trojan@atoka.net)
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 14:00:05 -0500

Freedom045@aol.com wrote:

> << ((The fact that Operation Stardust succeeded is irrelevant to the character of Kou Uraki. We didn't need him to save the day, we just needed to have him act like a MAN.))
>
> a big, sweaty, hairy-chested MAN! *OO-Rah* Get me a Beer Woman! >>
>
> That's not what being a man is about.

alright, what is being a Man all about? and what does being a man have
to do with this anyway? what if the test pilot who first got ahold of
Unit one had been a woman?

> << ((Gato was a legend even before his death. Kou is now living in disgrace, a forgotten footnote in the world of the Universal Century.))
>
> of course Gato was probalby never asked to chase-down the Federation's leading Ace pilots when he went on his first real mission >>
>
> Who says? If Gato had been given that assignment on his first mission, I think he would have relished it. Gato was that kind of guy.

relished it maybe, but as a newbie pilot agaisnt a seasoned ace would he
have been any more succesfull?

> << ((Oh, I find the fact that some people consider Kou to be the equal of Gato to be very funny indeed.))
>
> all other things being equal the probably were (remember Nina's evaluation of the test-data the fist time Kou took the Gundam out?)>>
>
> I say she fudged the data. Nothing in the animation backs up her claims. I personally think she picked Kou because she knew she could "control" him (him being a basic wuss, and now pu$$ywhipped on top of that), whereas a "real" test pilot would have pushed the GP-01 to the edge of the envelope, much to Nina's chagrin ("Aiieeee!! Atashi no Gundam!!!").
>
> Kou got his ass kicked constantly in those first few battles. I didn't see anything in those combat scenes that made me think Kou showed any "real" skill as a mobile suit pilot. Did you?

i thought taking out those doms and zakus near single-handedly in the
break-out from the riverbed in the Africa battle took some skill.. and i
don't buy Gato not killing Kou because he didn't have time to wast.. if
Gato was as supiroor as you say he could have gutted Kou's Gundam before
he even left the base

> <<-Les
> who is just having one too many High School flash-backs reading this>>
>
> Was I one of those football players who gave you a wedgie when you were a freshman?
>
> Tom

obviously not but this does remind me of a too-often repeated scenario..
the popular jock get's all the aclaim and attention while the geek just
get's scorn and ridicule

-Les
Who's now wondering when the moderators are gonna start jumping up and
down on both of our heads

--
                                  -Balki Bartokamouse